cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TW517

Can't you just feel the love?

No, seriously, can’t you?  I do.  I feel it on this site every time I’m here.  I’ve been thinking about that lately.  Everyone (myself included) bashes the Millennials for their lack of social skills.  There have been all kinds of studies* and commentary about how easy it is to be mean to someone online, and how we would never be that way face-to face.  Same with texting vs talking on the phone.

Yet, here we are, an online virtual community, and this is way more loving, non-judgmental, and caring than most in-person groups I know.  Why is it that we are the exception to the rule?  Is it our common addiction (misery loves company)?  I don’t know about that.  I’ve had political arguments with roommates in the hospital.  Their pain didn’t stop me from explaining why their view was wrong and mine was right

What is it about us that works so well?

* I'd be happy to head a new study to research why our group works so well.  I figure $1-2 million should cover it.  Please write your Senators and Congressional Representative today to suggest this.  PM me for wire instructions to my Swiss account.

23 Replies

I think it was the group picnic we haven't had yet.

corn.jpg

bonniebee

Love your sense of humor Dale !animals owl laughing  blanchard.jpg

Owl bite

Diannnnn

It really is amazing. I think it may just be one of those things where certain people are "led" here. Not everyone stays and it has a lot to do with where they are emotionally. This is a very welcoming group, but they aren't going to sponsor your pity party. They also aren't going to participate when you lash out and try to start a fight. I think the energy we share can draw us together, just like sometimes our energy repels us from one another.

Or it could be just as Dale said...lol.

Jennifer-Quit

Well I have seen comments said with love and concern totally misunderstood because the "tone" of the remark was misunderstood.  Or because the recipient of the comment was not in a good frame of mind to take the remark in the spirit that it was given.  For the most part it works, but unfortunately there are misunderstandings from time to time.

YoungAtHeart

And, trust me when I say an online attack hurts just as much as in-person or on-the-phone one.  But - we get over it and get on to helping others.  Perhaps it's the general maturity of the group that contributes to its success (and I don't necessarily mean age here, either).

jmho

TW517

Good point.  I've seen that twice since I've joined.  Once against Nancy, and just the other day towards Ellen.  But two things struck me about both of those events:  1) The outpouring of love and support for Nancy and Ellen was phenomenal, and 2) No one condemned the attackers.  I still say we're pretty special 

bonniebee

That's life for ya  but all in all this is a darn good caring and loving site to be on ! 

YoungAtHeart

It makes my heart glad to read this!  I'm happy you find our little community so!

Nancy