cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dani_2017

Dreams about smoking?

Hi everyone!

Hope you all are doing well. Today marks 15 days smoke free for me and I couldn't have done it without all of you. 

Today I wanted to ask about dreams. I've been having dreams about myself smoking cigarettes a lot recently. For context- I'm not on Chantix, I quit cold turkey. 

I know there are probably other posts like this already on EX, but I just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with anything like this. 

Thanks for reading. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
YoungAtHeart

They are perfectly normal - most of us have had them.....even after 5+ years quit, I will still have one every once in awhile.  Funny, though, early in my quit I would dream about lighting one, but would stop myself from smoking it. I was SO proud that I maintained my quit, even in my dreams.  Later, when my quit was firmly in place, I dreamed about sitting in a lovely garden, and I smoked (and enjoyed) an entire cigarette!

Pay them no mind - just celebrate when you awaken that it WAS a dream!

Nancy

Madyzsgocka

I'm going on nine months, and in the past month or so I have averaged 2-3 smoking dreams per week. Why now? Who knows, but yeah, I just say "whew" so glad that was just a dream, and I get up and get on with my day. The mind can be a strange thing. It's just been a year or so that I've stopped dreaming about being late for class (in high school), because I can't remember my locker combination to get my books to take to class, and I'm 57 years old! Go figure.

Free2BU

Oh my goodness, that is all I had dreams about in the early stages.  I smoked all night long, so when i woke up i was exhausted and had no feeling for any cigarettes whatsoever.  It was crazy, but gosh it worked it on me and now they have passed and so has the thoughts of smoking.  I am only 33 days in, so as the ladies above say....this can still go on go away or come back.  But never actually do it.

Well done on your quit to date, keep up the good work no matter what xx

Madyzsgocka

You too. You should be very very proud of your 33 days. That's HUGE!! Congrats. N.O.P.E.

type in dreams in the search (magnifying glass) and you'll see loads of articles come up.  I've been quit for a year and a half and still get them once in a while, but not as much as in the beginning

Jennifer-Quit

I still occasionally have them.  It bothered me in the beginning but not so much now.  I think it is normal for some people.  Congrats to you on 15 days!

elvan

Congratulations on your 15 days.  I have heard people in recovery from addiction say that the dreams are reinforcing the cessation of the drug.  I have not had many...unless I don't remember them.  There are many people who have had dreams and apparently, some of them are very vivid and realistic...making waking up a huge relief.

Ellen

Giulia

Over 11 years quit and I have, on average, about one a month.  Sometimes more.  But they rarely bother me.  I just find them interesting.  And they are beginning to change now.  Can't exactly say in what way, but they seem different.  In the very beginning of my quit I'd awaken and be SO GLAD it was just a dream.  But after a year? maybe, I just found myself smoking in the dream and being a bit surprised by it, but not particularly upset about it.  Nor particularly upset that I'd been lying to everybody here.  The other morning I awakened from one and in that twilight time before fully awakening, I though I had actually smoked the day before but had simply forgotten that I had.  That was different from past experiences.  I suppose, just like our quit journeys change as we progress, so does our subconscious dream time.    

And you're right.  There are a zillion posts about smoking dreams on the site.  Just type 'smoking dream' into the search box and you will have endless reading material on the subject from nine years ago on up to the present date.  Welcome to the club!  

Dani_2017

Thank you, this is very helpful. 

And it's so nice to hear from you! I hope you had a great weekend  

0 Kudos