cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML Wednesday Check In - 8/9/2017

Don’t think of it as QUITTING.  Think of it as GAINING!!!

*** I will not be able to post a weekly check-in on 8/16 or 8/23 since I will be somewhere in paradise.  Could someone else please copy and paste and do the check-in?  Feel free to change the topic question.***

We are doing this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We will offer topic questions below if you find yourself at a loss for what to post.  These are for ideas.  We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

Topic Questions: Are you losing your enthusiasm?  What are you doing to develop Quititude? 

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start about the time your first month ends.

The first month of a quit is emotional, exhilarating, exhausting, and many other “e” words I’m sure!  You are trying to take one moment at a time and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go. The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can knock you to your knees. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be every bit as strong as it was in your first few days.

But here’s the good news. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening!

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr...  

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months:  /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months  

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club!

Note:  Much of this content was previously found in an old blog post by SarahP when I searched for NML.  I want to make sure credit is given since much of the content above is taken from that blog post.  I also understand SarahP was willing to pass the torch to someone else on the weekly NML Check In.  Instead of doing a blog, I am making this a weekly discussion.

Tags (1)
30 Replies
TW517

"*** I will not be able to post a weekly check-in on 8/16 or 8/23 since I will be somewhere in paradise. Could someone else please copy and paste and do the check-in?"

Better yet, how about we all join you in paradise?  

YoungAtHeart

What is this "paradise" of which you speak??

I can fit in a pretty small duffel!!??!

Nancy

Roller831

I am going with husband and kids on a 9 night cruise to Caribbean.  While our first choices of vacation is not a cruise, we have the opportunity to book with www.autismontheseas.com which provides a lot of benefits for our family since my son has autism.  We actually get some rest and relaxation because there are qualified staff personnel on the trip just for our group and other added benefits like priority check-in, reserved times for various ship activities, venues, and shows, etc.  Check out the website and spread the work to anyone you know who has kids or adults with any kind of special need who needs assistance.  

Roller831

Oh...and yes YoungAtHeart, you are welcome to fit in a small duffel!  We have two balcony rooms on the ship so plenty of room for 1 more!

YoungAtHeart

How WONDERFUL for you, your family AND your son!!!!!

What a brilliant idea!

When do you leave?  Will you be able to send us pix?  Hope so!

Nancy

Roller831

I would love to send pics, but here is where I am a bit paranoid...if you use Google to search, a lot of posts on this website come up.  I am concerned about this site being so...public so pics I send could be found by lots of people...now...if there is a way around that, I am happy to share pics (and my real name).  LOL!

0 Kudos
elvan

Have an amazing time in paradise.  I did not know that about posts on this site being able to be googled. Can't say that makes me feel very good either.  As far as pics...I never post anything that I would be concerned about anyone seeing.

Paradise,  huh?  I need a beach...ANY beach.

Ellen

Roller831

So I didn't really check in yesterday so I will do it today on my 50 DOF!  So stinking excited, but also getting concerned about our vacation.  I know all of the positives of traveling and not smoking.  The freedom I will have and I won't have to worry when the next time I could smoke or where I could smoke or bringing Lysol to cover up the smell when I smoke in a hotel room or a rental car....the list goes on.

I will be around smokers.  I will have some choices, but generally speaking, I will be around it more than I have been in the past 50 days.  I am very well aware of this and I think that helps, but it also concerns me.  I do not want to smoke!  NOPE!  

I don't believe I am losing my enthusiasm and I try to build my quititude daily and build on my quititude as best as I can.

I can do this!  I do not do that anymore!

elvan

Get some Vick's so you can put a little dab under your nose, it helps to cover the smell.