cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Yes, You Can Teach An Old Smoker New Tricks

If They Are Willing

teach-a-dog-to-roll-over-steps.jpg

Most Of The Successful Ex Smokers On This Site Smoked For 30-50 Years.

They Found Their New Lives Without Smoking.

So Can You!

Smile! You Control The Outcome Of Your Quit!

CurtMLwWAAEJEDj.jpg

8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

So sad that he was a smoker!

😉

0 Kudos
TW517

"Most Of The Successful Ex Smokers On This Site Smoked For 30-50 Years."  I've noticed that too.  And most have had many failed attempts first.  The American Cancer Society says it takes an average of 8-10 quits before you are successful.  That's so dumb of us!  I'm on my 7th quit (I'm going to beat those 8-10 odds), and every one has been much harder than the last.  You'd think after 2-3 tries, common sense would prevail, and you'd say, "I don't want to go through that again!"

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I guess my "sense" is more finely tuned.  I knew that I would never be able to make myself go through it again so it needed to be my first and final quit....and it was.  But, I had seen the health effects first hand, so I also knew I had to quit.  Perhaps that is the difference?

Nancy

TW517

I have 4 friends who quit their first time (2 of them over 20 years ago).  I admire the heck out of them.  You too YoungAtHeart !

0 Kudos

I quit my first time by thinking instead of being overcome by emotions and negative self talk.

elvan

I hate to admit it but I have no idea how many times I quit...LOTS.  Until I came here, I was like a fish out of water, flopping around and looking for something...I didn't know it was education and support.

0 Kudos
12Finally34

I smoked for 45 years and tried hundred of time to stop.  

I agree with you, the education and support has made a difference in my approach to quitting.

Next week, my granddaughter will visit.  She is 12 and I am looking forward to showing off my new found energy.

Off to my nicotine meeting.  

12Finally34

elvan

That's AWESOME, I smoked for 47 years, quit for pregnancies but not because I was really thinking about my health, the smell of smoke made me vomit.  I have no clue how many times I tried to quit and I have no idea WHY, in all of those tries, I did not approach it as an addiction, I KNEW I was addicted but there was something about this place and these people that changed my perspective entirely.  I am so glad that I no longer smoke!

0 Kudos