cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

HardHead2

Problems at day 18

I'm having some super cravings for the oddest reason.  I'm doing some kick butt work at work and feel I need my little "reward" when I leave.  Why is this still a prize in my mind?

12 Replies

Because you're only on day 18 and you smoked for how many years?

misty_dawn

Habits run deep and smoking was wrapped in everything you did... give it time to creat new habits and it will eventually die off...

Diannnnn

I'm at day 32 and I still get that. Remember, it's just your mind. Retrain yourself to reward yourself with something else. I reward myself by going outside and taking a break. Not much different than what I did before, but without the smoke. It seems to work.

You can do this!

YoungAtHeart

Not an uncommon occurrence,   It seems to me that the "reward cigarette" association is one of the very last to go.  Even after 5+ years, I still get the thought when I have taken a break from a chore.  It's only a thought at this stage, and easy to dismiss.

You are still VERY early in your journey - perhaps you can come up with a new reward?  I stopped drinking Pepsi a few years ago, and now use a small, crushed ice filled glass of it as my reward.  It seems especially present when I take a break from cleaning, or from raking leaves.  Why those two I have no idea!

Hang in there!  It gets easier - I promise!

Nancy

bonniebee

I got that strong in the beginning and like YoungAtHeart Nancy said above it is one of the stubborn ones ! Istill get it and you must replace it with new healthier habits ! I love gardening and I like to sit in the yard for a break the first 2 summers i really would have craves hit me and I began bringing my ice tea outside with me for my breaks and a book ! This summer I hardly think of it and when i take a break I just reach for a drink ! Time makes it all easier and even last summer It was just a thought,sayings quit (2).jpg

not a real crave so take heart you will learn new habits just don't quit on your quit !

Your profile says your quit date was August 23 ,2016 you need to update it 

elvan

I had the same feelings in the beginning, they really DO pass and things get a LOT easier. It take TIME, we were so used to thinking of that suicidal stick as being a reward that we have to build new memories, new ways to reward ourselves.  There are ways to reward ourselves that are not dangerous to our lives.  Hang in there, you did the best possible thing you could do, you BLOGGED.  Your participation in this community is going to make you stronger and stronger, one day at a time.

Giulia

The strongest cravings for me are the reward cravings.  Not the morning ones, the being in the car ones, the feeling upset, stressed, angry ones.  No.  Even now after 11 years, once in a blue moon when I've worked REALLY HARD outside, that "sit down and relax with a cigarette" thought comes in.  And I go and get a nice big cold glass of water and just SIT DOWN for five minutes.  And before I even get the third sip of water in - that reward craving has passed by.  What I find weird about the reward craving is that it doesn't occur EVERY time I need a reward for a job well done, or a job accomplished.  And I have never yet learned what particular activity prompts it.  I just know it will come say Hello every once in a while and I then say Goodbye to it!  

12Finally34

Thank you for putting a name to that craving?  

I have 15 days and  I have experienced wanting to reward myself for little accomplishments.  

The suggestions and comments were great and  I am using one I received from my nicotine meeting.

I was beating myself up for wanting instant results in quitting.  The chairperson took out a feather and gave it to me.  He said "If you  must beat yourself up, please do it with a feather.  

Cigarette robbed me of my self esteem.  To the best of my ability, I am taking Alan Carr's suggestion and that is to follow directions.  So far, all the suggestions from the elders on this site has helped me to get some needed rest and built my faith from a speck to a mustard seed.

12Finally34