cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

smorgy8513

4 Years Quit!!! Who would have "thunk" it?

I've had quite a few "quits" in my time....but always...some thing would happen that would sabotage my quit (i.e. sister broke her hip, fight with son, etc.).   I never took full responsibility for that and always blamed whatever it was that occurred.       So, when I quit on 8/5/13 I knew I REALLY wanted it to work, knew that I needed as much support as I could get but I think deep down I was afraid this one wouldn't take either.

So, I did as much positive as I could:  Chantix, prayer, atomic fire balls, telling friends AND coming to the EX many times throughout the day. 

The people here became my friends as well as my family.  I could share when I was struggling and get encouragement.  I got the "atta girl" when I hit a milestone.    I even got to go to the 2nd EX reunion in Florida and got to meet so many in person (I remember when I walked into the lounge and heard "SMORGY!".    I felt loved then and do until this day.

Have there been struggles in my life since then that would have "caused" me to smoke in the past?  Of course!   Life goes on and troubles happen even when you don't smoke.    I lost my sister who was also my best friend.   Ongoing relationship issues with the family.    My diagnosis of lung cancer and the treatment that has gone on since then (dr tells me "not curable, but treatable").

Would smoking make any of those things better?     OF COURSE NOT!      But when you're an addict the brain tells tons of lies to you.....

Newbies:     whether you are quitting today, quit 1 week ago, or have recently had a relapse......use the resources that the EX provides to you.     And maybe.....you will be here in 4 years (or 2, or 8 or 15) and celebrate with the EX family that love you and are there for you every day!

I thank my family here and love each and every one of you that have helped me!   I could mention names but there isn't enough space here to do that.  

So, I'll just say Thank You and send big HUGS to all.

Sharon

27 Replies
Barbara145

CONGRATULATIONS, Sharon on 4 years smoke free.  You sound great.  Carry on amazing lady.  Love and prayers,   Barbara

Congratulations on 4 Amazing Smoke FREE Years!

indingrl

CONGRATS SHARON ON FOUR YEARS NICOTINE FREE! Yahoooooooo and yipeeeee abd TADAHHHHHH... I am so filled with JOY for you and I pray ... Dear Father God in Jesus name I praise and thank you for Sharon and ask that she's given years of love and nicotine freedom with peace abounding inside and out.. thank you Dear Father God for always hearing and answering my prayers... thank you Sharon for your blog. As i read it i too felt the love you give to me and all here by your sharing your victory over yourself... your changed thinking and most of all your wiilingness to let us celebrating your victory over nicotine... TOGETHER WE STAY QUIT NO MATTER WHAT... love you

Jennifer-Quit

Congratulations and thank you for being such a big help to me in my quit journey.  It is truly appreciated.

Congratulations!

Hugs

what an achievement.  You've helped me along the way, that's for sure.  congrats !!!!

Giulia

Hey Elder List partner, you came, you thunk, you conquered!  Ain't nothin' gonna sabotage your quit no mo, no mo, no mo, no mo!  That Nicodemon has hit the road, Jack and is not coming back!  Thanks for all you've done here, Sharon.  But especially for staying true to you.  Keep lighting the way.

elvan

smorgy8513‌ Every single one of us thank YOU, for your support, your love, your example.  I am so glad you are here, congratulations on four years!

XO,

Ellen

MarilynH

Sending lots of love and hugs to you sweet Sharon and definitely lots of congratulations on your precious 4 yrs of smoke free living and counting! You've been a huge part of my quit dear friend, please do something EXtra special for yourself because you deserve the very best that life has to offer!

0 Kudos