cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ranjitthewolf

Drinking without smoking

Hello All,

I am not an alcoholic. The last drink i had might be in last May during a corporate function. Now another one is coming up and i was thinking it would be nice i could have a drink on that night. Now what precautions can one take to have a good time out and not relapse? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Angie-Lah

Did you notice in the past that you tend to smoke more when you drink? Do you know if there will be a lot of smokers at this corporate function? When I quit in 2010 all of my friends smoked, and they would often leave during and after dinners to have a smoke break. I avoided any and all alcohol during that time because I know it would lower my inhibitions and would probably lead me to following them outside and breaking my quit. I would say I was about 6 months in to my quit before I felt "safe" enough to have a drink.

My current issues and resolve to never drink again notwithstanding, I completely abstained from alcohol during that 6 months until I felt I had a solid foundation under me. Precautions you could take: don't go outside or to any smoking areas with co-workers, stick to one or two drinks, make up your mind before you go that nothing is going to break your quit, etc. Only you know if your resolve will weaken with alcohol. Happy Friday and I hope you have a good time at your event

How far along are you in your quit Ranjit? Like Angie-Lah‌ I gave up alcohol, but also soda & coffee for the first year. I also had to give up some friends for that time. I knew what my weaknesses were & did what needed to be done to assure my success. If you associated smoking with drinking it might be a good idea to remain a tee-totaler for a little longer. I know you'll make the right choice...cause smoking is a choice ya know.

YoungAtHeart‌ will shortly be posting her weekly drinking blog. You should check it out.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

YoungAtHeart

Thanks for the shout out Mike.n.Atlanta !  I didn't know what day it was, so I posted my weekly Friday  "better not drink while early in your quit" blog yesterday!  Here's the link: /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2017/08/03/if-you-want-to-take-a-chance, ranjitthewolf

When you drink, your inhibitions are reduced, and early in your quit it's easy in that state to think "just one won't hurt."  One invariably leads to another, then another.  We are addicts  The Law of Addiction states, "Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance." (whyquit.com).

My advice?  I am sure there are folks who don't drink at your gathering.  Meet some new colleagues.  Hang out with THEM!

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

I did not drink anything alcoholic for six months because I was afraid that there was a chance that I might smoke.  I am not much of a drinker, never have been but if I decide to have a drink now, I limit myself.  One or two and then I am done.  I need all of my guards against nicotine in place ALL the time.

freeneasy

I stopped drinking about a year before I quit smoking. For me, It would be extremely difficult to drink without smoking. I know people who quit smoking and still enjoy a drink or two. I would advise you to wait a little longer-better to be safe than sorry. 

Alcohol just wasn't and isn't that important to me, Ranjit!  My Quit IS! I haven't had a drink since! It can be a challenge when my culture says it's not polite to turn down an offered drink (and smoke!) But I just state clearly - "I have promised myself and my Creator that I will not partake and I honor that promise!" Since my Friends know that I am a Man of my Word, they accept that! I suggest you think about your Values and decide how important that drink is.