cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML Wednesday Weekly Check In – 8/2/2017

Good habits are just as addictive as bad habits. But much more rewarding!!!

We are doing this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We will offer topic questions below if you find yourself at a loss for what to post.  These are for ideas.  We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

Topic Questions: Are you in No Man's Land? How long did you smoke? Use nicotine?  List 3 things that are better now that you have quit!

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start about the time your first month ends.

The first month of a quit is emotional, exhilarating, exhausting, and many other “e” words I’m sure!  You are trying to take one moment at a time and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go. The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can knock you to your knees. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be every bit as strong as it was in your first few days.

But here’s the good news. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening!

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months:  /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club!

Note:  Much of this content was previously found in an old blog post by SarahP when I searched for NML.  I want to make sure credit is given since much of the content above is taken from that blog post.  I also understand SarahP was willing to pass the torch to someone else on the weekly NML Check In.  Instead of doing a blog, I am making this a weekly discussion.

Tags (1)
21 Replies
Roller831

Hello Everyone!  Roller her with 42 DOF!

Are you in No Man's Land? Most certainly

How long did you smoke?  Use nicotine?  32 years with a 5 year quit period in there 

List 3 things that are better now that you have quit!  1.  Not having to worry about where or when to have the next smoke.  2.  Much more time to do other things.  3.  Feeling FREE!!!

Roller831

Where are all the NMLers today?

0 Kudos
TW517

Sorry!  Busy morning.  I'm here!

Are you in No Man's Land?  Yep - 79 days

How long did you smoke?  Use nicotine?  Over 40 years

List 3 things that are better now that you have quit:  Clean smelling clothes and car, not making excuses to go outside, lot's more free time!

Roller831

I will not give up!  I will keep bumping this up so noone currently in NML will fail!!!!

TW517

Looks like it's just you and me today roller831 .  Maybe one more bump just in case.

Diannnnn

Sorry, I just saw this! In fact, I posted my daily thing to last week's thread...ooops.

I am on day 31 and I smoked for 33 years, heavily for the past 3 or 4. Here are my 3 things:

1. I can breathe through my nose. I didn't realize how clogged up I was before!

2. I can taste my Food! I eat more slowly because I am savoring all the flavors.

3. I love not being a slave to my addiction. It's like you said Roller...We are Free!!!

I apologize again for not seeing this earlier.

Dian

TW517

Oh yeah!  I forgot about breathing through my nose.  I was fine as long as I was up.  But within minutes of laying down, my nose clogged up, and I was forced to breath through my mouth.  I guess I didn't include in my top 3 since I was usually asleep and didn't notice that much.  But it would be number 1 for my wife.  Apparently my snoring has practically stopped.

Diannnnn

Yeah, I was always stuffy it seems. The drainage and smoking caused me to wake up several times a night coughing. Man I am glad that is gone! 

Showiestodin

Hey Dian and Tom. I had not noticed this until you mentioned it. I can breath through my nose again too. Awesome!