cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mckenna

Newbie. I want to be a Quitter!

Hello everybody I'm new here. Please excuse any typos as I'm talking into my phone. I'm soon to be 60 years old I'm a female former bodybuilder up to my 30s, service-connected disabled military vet, married to a non smoker, came from a non-smoking upbringing. So why am I here. The reason is simple and yet it is complicated. We all have our stories and I'm sure mine might vary from some and be parallel to others we're all here to live. I smoked casually in high school stopped completely when I was 17 began bodybuilding and became an amateur bodybuilder up until 9:30 which included a military stent of which I suffer PTSD and in that respect and 50% disabled plus retired. I began smoking again when I was in my mid-thirties after I stopped bodybuilding and still smoke some what casually but I think with the loss of my parents the loss of my grown nephew in Osaka Japan killed in a motorcycle accident I fear those were my biggest triggers. I never drank I never did drugs. I'm pretty much a clean slate except for this one demon smoking. All my lab work at the hospitals always came out good and miraculously chest x-rays were actually clear. In 2011 I was a victim of an assault and was punched severely in the back of my head which caused the thalamus brain hemorrhage. Funny when I think of it now I worked really hard and regained all my falculty by myself Physical Therapy was booked up 4 months. I taught myself to walk to read speak I gave my sight back in my right eye and to look at me today you would never think anything was wrong with me. But that brain bleed ended up turning into cavernous brain malformations which are the thinning of the arteries in the brain. In that the brain sent mixed signals have a large cyst in my left kidney I have liver disease just like somebody who drank and a couple of other issues where the brain keeps sending mixed signals to other body parts. But once again to look at me I am the picture of Health and nobody can even fathom what I've been through by looking at me. So again why am I here. Began smoking with the major triggers stopped for a year after the brain bleeds and gradually start smoking again. My stop date was July 19th of this year. Cold turkey. I've had a couple of slip-ups but I la myself that and get back on the horse because I know this is a challenge a life-saving challenge. July 19th we return from a road trip from Southern California to Oregon and had a beautiful time right on the Rogue River breathtaking. We wrapped it on the White Waters we ate well we took in the scenery is a slice of Heaven there's no doubt. On the way home we were in a hurry so we failed to stop for two nights and instead made a one night stay in Sacramento when I got home I was in full-blown altitude sickness. I was rushed to the hospital by paramedics 4 days later with difficulty breathing no pain no cough dizziness. They ran every test possible in the hospital and they found what they thought and may still think it's a blood clot somewhere in my body they can't find it all my other blood levels were good and then the doctor came in and said I had a blocked artery somewhere just the kind of news I wanted to hear. They would then went on to say my EKG was normal with the exception of two little blips which they called bunny ears which is an indication of some sort of lung disease what kind they don't know. So that's enough to make me stop quit walk away and it no more smoking done while I'm waiting for results. I'm waiting for those lab results to come in from the doctor to see where we stand but in the meantime I've gone completely vegan as of July 19th all plant-based. I threw out the cigarettes. I'm walking 2 miles every morning and every evening working my way up to five miles every morning and every evening non-strenuous casual but it's getting the job done. So why am I here. I haven't tempted fate over all these years smoking but I do know it's been a vice a very bad Vice a very unhealthy Vice. I'm all grown up and know all the implications from smoking with her it's one cigarette five cigarettes or 5 packs a day I don't need to watch a commercial on TV or have a doctor tell me all the negatives I do know what they are. So why am I here. I need people like me. I need people fighting for their lives like me. I need people understand the addictions of smoking. I have nobody I can talk to because everybody is a non-smoker they all tell me I'll get past it it's no big deal and the worst comment I received was from someone close to me that said it's your own fault. Yes it is. Yes it is. But I need people that can motivate me and I need people that can tell me to get back on the horse and and what a good job I'm doing I need the support. I need these chemicals out of my body I need the Damage Done reversed I need to be smoke-free and I'm a fighter believe me I'm a fighter and I won't give up but what I need most of all is you. So why am I here I'm here because of you and because of me and because of us. We're going to be moving from Southern California and relocating to Coeur d'Alene Idaho I want to be able to live and enjoy the beauty I want to be able to take a deep breath and not worry I want to know I can go get lab work done and it comes in clean and that somehow somehow by the grace of God this clot is dissolved my lung disease is minor and that I can live my life to my fullest. So why am I here I want to be a quitter 150% Mckenna

Tags (1)
18 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome Mckenna‌!

You've come to the right place!  Glad you're here!

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
maryfreecig

A big welcome. Glad you are here. Thanks for telling your story. You've come to the right place...you're in quitter territory now. Read the info pages, learn, participate, read blogs. One day at  a time you can leave the smoking addiction behind. 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You have been on quite the journey.  Thank you for sharing your story with us.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Bree19

A huge welcome to EX,  McKenna.

This is the place to be (every day) to get the help and support you need.  

We have a whole collection of Wise Ones (others call them the Elders) - you will be amazed by their knowledge, compassion, EXperience and ability to get you back on that horse should you slide sideways a bit.

Some of them are going to be on here in just a while to give you loads of information you need to start this journey.  And remember each one of them (and us newer folk) started where you are starting.  Unsure, determined, then unsure again but if you follow their recommendations this can also be a very interesting journey.  Read as much as you can on this site - older blogs from other quitters.

Education is the key and the Wise Ones will set you on the right path.

Great to have you with us.  You can do this!!

Bree

MarilynH

Thank you for sharing your story, you've definitely made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and we're all here for you and your precious quit, you can and will be successful one precious smoke free day at a time, believe in yourself, be willing, determined and totally committed and each day you get through is another day WON! N.O.P.E  - Not One Puff Ever will give you a beautiful smoke free life because S.I.N.A.O  - Smoking Is Not An Option and H. A. L. T.  - Hunger, Anger, Lonely, Tired  - taking EXtra good care of yourself will help you with your quit journey, there's life after cigarettes so reach out and hang on tight and don't let go until you come out the other side smiling.

bonniebee

Mckenna thank you for sharing so much of yourself in your blog ! This is the place to be for all the caring support you will need ! 

I smoked for 52 years of my life  and if can quit and stay  quit anyone can .....with the help of EX of coarse ! I highly doubt  I  would be here commenting on your blog if I had not found the Ex-Community when I did !

Stay here and keep blogging and commenting so people get to know you and your needs .sayings welcome we are glad you are here.jpg

elvan

Welcome to EX, you have gotten great advice above.  Please do the reading, education is a huge part of success...you seem like the kind of person who is going to be all in and you are going to do a great job.  I am not sure about the results of your testing.  I am a retired nurse, I would love to know what you hear.  In the meantime, it sounds like you are doing an amazing job taking care of yourself. I have been smoke free for 3 1/2 years after smoking for 47 years.  I have COPD and had to have surgery a year and ten months after I quit...to have both of my upper lobes removed because they were so damaged from emphysema.  I work out regularly, eat a healthy diet, although not as healthy as yours, and I try very hard to help others to quit and to STAY quit.  You can do this...if anyone can YOU can, just look at your history.  

I strongly recommend going to JonesCarpeDiem‌'s page and reading What To Expect In The First Four Months.  I read that over and over again the first year.  We are here to help in any way that we can, please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

Ellen

0 Kudos
Mckenna

Hello Ellen, I recd a call from my VA PVP to inform me D Dimmer increased from (July 19 ER) 532 to 755 (VA July 28 Follow up) as well as Hemoglobin elevated (heart/lungs not getting proper oxygen?) PCP wants CTA asap..im scared beyond belief. No DVT in legs. Smoking...a demon in disguise

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

0 Kudos
coreinstincts

Mckenna; I am so sorry to hear that you are having so many issues at the moment with your health. we are all here for you and praying that things turn around for the good. Please join us daily and keep us posted on how you are doing that day anyway and I think that will help you to engage with others. You will think about quitting again I hope and you will want to quit and think about your health; I know it is hard when you are scared and nervous just remember we are here and you are not alone ever. The elders are here, us newbies are here and you are safe to quit. You need meditation music to calm you.

Lee 15 DOF

0 Kudos