cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

EleanorRigby

What is the perfect time?

There is no perfect time to quit and no guarantee that you will be able to quit, stay quit and be happy with it. I see some people put their quit dates out so far they cant even begin to focus, nor do they want to.  Quitting smoking has to be an all in thing if you intend to quit and stay that way and there is nothing tomorrow or 90 days or 9 years from now that takes away the fact that we have to own our quits and really really want them.

A lady mentioned she had her quit date out 3 months from now because she didn't want to have"false hope"  What is false hope when we are quitting?? There is no such thing either before, during or after if you intend to never smoke.. that's all you have to do, not one puff ever one day at a time.  

A good friend from Montana ends his posts almost 100%  of the time like this..

If we don't take that FIRST puff, just for today, it is impossible to fail, and we are absolutely, positively, 100% guaranteed to go to bed as WINNERS tonight!

8 Replies
Strudel

So true! 

0 Kudos
elvan

EleanorRigby  Love it...NOPE was my mantra when I quit, Not One Puff Ever.  I don't think people who put their quits off are really serious about quitting.  As a former serial quitter, I have no excuses for what I did to myself but I AM paying for it now...I will pay for it until my last breath.  

Angie_machado

I felt like a fraud when I first came here, since I was still smoking but had started Chantix.  I think a 3 month quit date is silly.  Why wait?  The quit has to start sometime, nothing wrong with the present.  I'm 9 days into my quit and so happy I took the plunge.  The waters not too bad.......honest.

YoungAtHeart

I think the person is terrified of quitting and so is putting it off as long as humanly possible!  I hope they start reading, preparing and planning.  I have found a lot of people actually become excited to get started once they take these first steps.

Nancy

Angie_machado

I was really excited to become one of you guys!  Still am.

elvan

We are really excited to have you here Angie_machado !

Angie_machado

Thank you Ellen!  I'm super happy to be here too!

0 Kudos

I remember throwing the idea around in my head for almost 2 years before I finally quit.  I couldn't imagine myself without a cigarette in hand.  I tried the cutting down method for almost 2 months  before finally quitting.  That would only last for a few days and I'd be back up to at least a pack again.  I thought I was doing good because I was smoking 2 packs a day.  Funny how that little nicodemon likes to talk us into things.  He reassured me that I was doing great, but just keep smoking.  there was always something in life that convinced me that a cigarette would make everything okay again.  that's just not who I am anymore..........