cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c2q

Site Moderation Data

Hey Mark‌. I have a few questions about moderation. I think many of us would like to better understand the problem. Out of curiosity,

• how many false positives happen in a day?
  • What is the ratio of false positives to real positives?
  • Is there any similarities between the false positives? Like, time of day, keystroke sequence,  particular @mentions or #tags?
  • Is the rate of false positives for becomeanex consistent with other sites that use Jive?
  • Is the rate of false positives consistent between sites that use Jive and sites that use other internet forum software?

I know that Jive doesn't want to share details on moderation criteria, but I think some information should be available to us without setting the smammers loose. What do you think?

Please see Comparison_of_Internet_forum_software for an explanation of the thread based platforms I'd like to see incorporated into becomeanex, if and when such a thing becomes possible.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
22 Replies
elvan

Good questions, maybe someone on the site will be able to assist Jive!

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

c2q

Jive is in process of looking into it.  They've collected some data on Wednesday and will collect more if they need it.

1. Varies from day to day.  Sometimes it is 2-3 and other days it has been 12-15. I would say the average is 6-8. I clear them throughout the day so it's hard to pinpoint exactly.

2. Depends on the day.  Days we have lots of spammers then the number of false positives are dwarfed. Days where there isn't any spam, then it's predominantly  false positives. We're not going to turn off spam moderation to increase the spam or suggest to a spammer that they should come back.  Right now the filter is an effective deterrent.

3. Nope no discernable similarities.  I am a patterns person. As of right now it appears unrelated to the content within the posts. It is working quite effectively at catching actual spam and thus there has only been one case since early May that actual spam has been posted on the site.  Two members reported the person as abuse and I took care of it.

4. I don't have any hard data on this but it's likely.  Especially since it appears to be a bug. Other sites likely have more actual things to moderate than we do so it it might be hiding amongst all of their other content.

5. False positives are high right now.  There appears to be a bug that is catching messages at random and putting them in the queue.  Hopefully it will get solved and it will become a thing of the past.

There's no benefit to sharing values as this will hopefully be a temporary thing and we can look at it in the rear view.  Once this is fixed I expect the false positives to be less common. Already it's a very small portion of total messages posted.  

As far as that comparison chart.  There are other sites that already have this information. I'll look for a link. Jive and Lithium are forum softwares that have evolved.  They're competitors to many on the comparison charts you provided. I need to know specifically where you feel there are deficiencies.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

Okay, fair enough. I will try to work up something for you. There are a lot of functionalities that would be better from a user perspective if this was actually a thread based / forum based platform. I understand though that such a platform might not be right for becomeanex because it or they may lack data crunching capacities et. al. It would be great to see blogs and discucssions actually have forums.

I'll try to get back to you on this next week. I attempted to put something together when it first came up, but it's a bit involved.

Thanks for your response.

Btw, Mark‌, I know that was an old Wiki article from 2011. Many of the platforms have improved greatly since then. I really was just linking it to common properties and functionalities of forum based sites. You perhaps noticed that Jive is not on the list.

Jive has a great platform, absolutely. I like it, and if it provides good support, I can see why its the right fit for becomeanex. Formerly known as Clearspace, then Jive SBS, then Jive Engage, Jive is a commercial Java EE-based Enterprise 2.0 collaboration and knowledge management tool. I've really happy to hear that some community-user functionalities may be improved.

0 Kudos

My pattern seems to be:  My comment will pretty much always go to moderation if I at mention the person that I am directly replying to.  I will test this by replying and mentioning c2q above.

and as I suspected it went to moderation

Diannnnn

Wow Jennifer, that is weird. I @ people all the time and I don't think I've been in moderation for weeks. My only prob with using @ on my phone is once I chose the person I am @ing, I have to delete the characters I typed after my next keystroke.

You are standing on one leg, patting your head and rubbing your belly when you hit the "Add Comment" button, right? Works for me and it adds to my daily yoga minutes!

you didn't @mention me now - lol

0 Kudos