cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

12Finally34

Information on craving and trigger

I say the words but I really don't know the difference.

I should feel proud seeking answers but the disease have me feeling shame for asking such simple questions..  .   

What do you think is a craving and trigger?

How do I tell the difference between the two?

12Finally34

0 Kudos
10 Replies

This is a very good question, Finally! Thank You for asking! A trigger is a person, place, thing, or situation that arouses certain uncomfortable feelings within each of us causing us to feel as though we need a Sickerette! Triggers are never responsible for being a trigger. But we are responsible for changing our environment so we avoid unnecessary triggers and face unavoidable ones - one trigger at a time!

There are 2 kinds of cravings - physical and psychological. 

Physical cravings only last about 48 hours. They are real and are caused by withdrawal of toxic, addictive Nicotine from our bodies.

Psychological cravings are thoughts [impulses or motivational urges] that suggest in our Minds that we simply must have just one more puff! Thoughts happen on an average of 60,000 - 80,000 a day. Some are true and many are not true. What is not true: "I need a Sickerette now!" That statement, no matter how compelling it feels is simply not true!

The countermeasure to unwanted thoughts is Executive Control. It actually is located in a different part of the brain than thoughts. Executive Control is where we generate Decision!

So decide that you will not smoke today no matter what and then honor yourself enough to respect that decision in spite of any trigger you might encounter or any craving/urge you might feel!

It sounds simple because it is - not easy but yes, simple!

Quitting is doable and always remember that cravings and triggers as uncomfortable as they are never hurt anybody but smoking kills! The more committed you are 100% the faster your cravings will lessen and your triggers will be neutralized!

12Finally34

Answer is right on time!

When I woke up this morning a cigarette was in my thoughts, I was very agitated about that thought..  I had to remind myself that I am a beginner.

I took the pledge not to smoke today and said "I am not a smoker!"

Your explanation came at the precise moment because I didn't know why I was crying at this point.  

You gave me a better understanding of the psychological cravings.

On my way to my primary doctor to tell her the good news!  

12Finally34

c2q

EXcellent question!

Imagine you are strolling down the street, minding your own business, when you see or hear or smell something that reminds you of smoking. It could be a two friends laughing, or the smell of coffee, or anything at all. If it makes you suddenly want a cigarette, it's a trigger

That sudden urge to smoke, that powerful desire that makes you feel like you can't resist it - that the craving.

In the process of quitting, you learn how to manage both triggers and cravings, and you're right, they are very different animals, but either one can kill your quit if you aren't ready to deal with one.

Keep asking any questions that you have - you'd be surprised how many people are wondering the same thing.

12Finally34

Thanks c2q,

The support is overwhelming and I am so happy to go to my primary doctor with some good news!!

12Finally34

YoungAtHeart

I believe your questions have been well answered before me.  I wanted to add my voice, though, to your characterizing your question as being "simple."  If you don't know the answer  - someone else doesn't either!  GREAT that you ask it.  Don't ever hesitate to do so!

Nancy

12Finally34

Thank you!

Cigarette took the right for me to have an opinion.  For 20+ years, I have publicly downplay who I am?  

I would think if I think bad of myself then nobody would criticize me.  It has been a very bad habit.  

Starting today, I will ask the questions directly and not put myself down as much.  It will be a process but I need to change all my behavior based on cigarette and isolation.

Diannnnn

So glad you asked this as I knew the difference, but realize others may not. As always, the Elders gave awesome answers. 

What is the saying? 'The only stupid question is the unasked one.' Or something like that.

You have NOTHING to be ashamed for, dagnabit!

Dian

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Thank you for your support!!

Patterns with cigarettes are so demeaning and i have pledge to work on how I speak about myself and questions.

Have a meeting today and I received my quit cards today.  I love this site!!

12Finally34

elvan

I think this was a great question and that it has been well answered by those who came before me.  I had never actually THOUGHT of the differences.  I am so glad you asked this.

You are doing GREAT.

Ellen