cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

EastEnd

Diet for a month and 5 days no smokes

5 complete days with no smokes, as of right now.  Yesterday was tough, today, a bit better.  As stated before, I have had high blood pressure and even with meds, it remained too high.  I take my pill at 8:00PM before I rest so I just took my BP before the pill.  138/81 with a resting heart rate of 74.  While smoking I was struggling half way through the 24 hour period to see BP at 150/100 and my heart rate was always in the mid to high 80's.   Before I took my pill it was sometimes in the 160's.  Also to further complicate my situation, my annual blood work in early June revealed a shocking increase in blood glucose.  I was on a slippery slope.

June 1 I weighed in at 237 and as of today I weigh 216, mostly thanks to not having my daily island rums but also skipping starches and portion control.  Also, there is no polite way to put it but I'm not hocking up phlegm half the night when I am trying to rest.  I'm going to start testing blood sugar next week, at least every several days.  I'm taking a Metformin tablet before breakfast and dinner to help lower the blood sugar in the meantime.

Do I want a cigarette?  The answer is yes but when I compare my improving condition to the stupid pleasure of a smoke, I will not smoke.  

I'm not big on telling anyone else what to do but if you are like me with a few extra pounds, alcohol intake and a bad cigarette habit, kick the alcohol, reduce food intake and plaster on a patch.  You won't have to wait weeks for some very positive changes.  No superman here but for me it was go down in a mess of bad vitals, or bite the bullet and just stop the harmful behavior.  Forget everything else, just not coughing all night is payback enough and that has taken only 5 days.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Showiestodin

Congratulations on your 5 days. Keep it up. Keep going. Build upon what you have started. Sounds like things are already working in your favor, congrats to that as well. Being a non smoker just helps with everything, right. Best of luck.

0 Kudos
bonniebee

One of my main reasons for quitting was hocking up and not being able to go to sleep between the coughing ,the hocking and the wheezing it took so long to get to sleep every night I would go through this and think I have go to quit I am quitting tomorrow and then I would wake up and light up the minute my feet hit the floor ! That in itself was reason enough to quit ! 

Glad you are here I have 897 days of freedom now thanks to God that I  found this site ! Stick around !  

prjimm01

YAY Bonnie!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 5 days of freedom.  It is very important that you read and study the suggested materials.  Staying quit requires educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  It is a journey that continues.  Stay close.  Good Job. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Good for you on all points!   It took awhile, but I am off BP medication entirely.

Congratulations on your quit.  Keep it up!

Nancy

prjimm01

YAY Nancy!

0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations on your positive outcomes already.  Please do as JACKIE1-25-15‌ says and educate yourself on nicotine addiction, this is not a habit, it is an addiction.  It has many horrible effects...quitting and staying quit are the best things you can do for yourself, you will continue to see more and more positives.  I am really happy for you.

Ellen

prjimm01

YAY Ellen!

0 Kudos
elvan

Thanks, Jimmie, good to hear from you!

0 Kudos