cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ranjitthewolf

Life getting boring without smoking

Hello All, I am pretty sure this question has came up before. It seems there is nothing to look forward to these days since i quit smoking 2 months back. I do work out, watch soccer and cook. but that void left by smoking cant seem to be filled by any other activities. Is that just a phase or am i going to be miserable like this for a long time?

17 Replies

So are you saying that smoking added excitement to your life?

"I do work out, watch soccer and cook"

So did you do these things as a smoker?

If so, smoking is connected to them and they are a reminder you aren't smoking.

Find something you've never done before, something you always wanted to do instead of thinking smoking made life exciting.

Smoking was just what you were used to.

linda258

That is just an excuse that the addictive devil is trying to plant in your mind.  Life after smoking allowed me to have money, travel without restrictions and go places that I have never been.  Save all the money you would have spent on smoking and plan an adventure.... make something to look forward to .... YOU have the power now don't let the little devil control that too. 

YoungAtHeart

You are just in the mourning stage of missing your old "friend."  Find something HEALTHY to replace him.  Find a new hobby.  Maybe learn a new skill (stained glass, or kayaking, or biking?)  or take a class for a different kind of workout....kick boxing comes to mind.  You've got some extra jingle in your pocket - do something new and GOOD for yourself. 

This WILL pass, but you need to get busy reinventing your new, healthier life!

Nancy

elvan

ranjitthewolf  I am not sure how to answer this question because I was so excited with all of the extra time I had to do other things...things that were not trying to kill me.  I was thrilled to be able to put some money away because I put away what I would have spent on cigarettes, I figured that no matter how broke I was, I would always find the money to buy cigarettes.  You are experiencing FREEDOM not BOREDOM...you can choose any number of ways to fill your time and there is no reason that you need to feel bored. There are hobbies, books, movies, new things to learn...you are romanticizing the cigarette, it didn't do anything FOR you...it just does things TO us.  We allowed our addiction to do damage to us physically as well as emotionally and psychologically.  The world is your oyster, my friend, look for your pearl, it is not inside of a pack of cigarettes.

Ellen

maryfreecig

Got to high five you for asking this question. I felt lost without my smokes even though I was the one who called my quit (can there really be any other way?). I was frustrated that I was not happier, feeling more freed from smoking, etc. And I wondered if I was mentally damaged...incapable of accepting life without smoking cigarettes.

I had to work my quit. It didn't come easy. But I quit cold turkey and mostly isolated except for online info and help sites (but not participation sites such as Ex). I wanted to stay quit so I kept trudging. As I look back I did not appreciate nearly enough how much of an addiction smoking is. It takes encouragement, and daily doses of hope/confidence and hard work for some of us quitters. Is that such a terrible course to take? 

I've finally worked past the worst of the attachment/addiction, what ugly remains is weak and can be faced and undone one day at a time. Back  when I felt miserable, what really made me angry was the thought that I would consign myself to smoking for the rest of my life. 

Keep coming back, keep reading, keep looking for solutions. They are there for you to find.

Strudel

One of the really important things I learned in the Carr book was that by quitting I wasn't giving up anything of importance. That was vital to me - to truly believe it! I had to work at getting my brain to accept it - but, saying it and "faking it until you make it" worked! "Nothing of importance" - keep reminding yourself of that! If your current activities aren't exciting enough - add some more activities! Congrats on your quit! 

you're breaking up with your best friend.  Here's a great blog right on the subject:  /blogs/Storm_3.1.14-blog/2015/04/14/the-grief-cycle-youre-not-going-crazy 

linda258

Oh yes, the best friend who keeps trying to kill you... that thought helped me.  I was sad but kept asking myself why.... who would call someone who was trying to kill you a friend ... there goes that addictive devil again.