cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

EastEnd

2nd Day

Second day of no cigarettes, after 40 years of smoking.  I'm wearing a patch and it's going OK.  The most helpful comment that has stuck in my mind is that cravings usually last only 5 minutes or so.  I simply recognize that and it is true.  My nicotine habit had become so ridiculous that quitting is the only thing that makes any sense.  I don't believe I am going to relapse and accept that my life will be different and altogether better without smoking.  I went for a long bike ride early this morning......

27 Replies
TW517

You're off to a great start!  Congrats on Day 2!  Sounds like you have the right attitude.  Stay close to this site and post often.  Pretty soon you will be handing out helpful comments.

maryfreecig

Sounds like you are ready. Amen to that. If you are new to this site, a big welcome. 

elvan

EastEnd‌ GOOD FOR YOU.  Welcome to EX, it sounds like you are on your way.  No crave ever killed anyone...no one can say that about cigarettes.  I am so happy that you have joined us on this journey.  If you need any help, please do not hesitate to ask.  You can do this...it is not always easy but then again, neither is life.

Welcome,

Ellen

EastEnd

Almost instant relief from hacking after just over 48 hours.  I'm leaving my remote location and am going to be traveling for the next two months, primarily in back country.  Anticipation of the trip was one of the big reasons for pulling the plug on cigs.  I quite honestly had never really tried to quit although the realization that I ought to quit came up many times.  Right now I consider pulling the plug on one life and entering another for a couple of months to be a good thing.  Take that brain!!   The thoughts to light up come in like a meteor but burn up in the atmosphere before striking ground.   

elvan

I hope you can stay close to the site, it's important to get regular doses of the wisdom and love on EX, so glad you are here and that you are already aware of improvements.  Do not be surprised if you experience some pretty intense coughing and phlegm production in the next week or so...it will be your lungs "cleaning house."  We are here, my friend, we will make every effort to support you and to help you. 

Ellen

indingrl

Ellen you are a great teacher and encourager ... just wanted you to know that and i love you! 

0 Kudos
Strudel

Way to go - you sound great! I also smoked for 40 years and I can tell you that your new freedom is going to be amazing! Stay close - congrats to you! 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and, now probably your SECOND day WON!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read, and makes a great crave buster.  You don't have to follow the plan, but it may help you put your smoking addiction in little better perspective.     Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.  I like the patch if you' re using an NRT -  be sure to wean down the nicotine when you are ready.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  A bike ride first thing this morning was a GREAT idea.  You also might drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

indingrl

Beautiful teaching and of your experience living a nicotine free life Nancy. You are so cool in my world... the best education of solutions.... freezer breathing...brilliant idea... i love it... thank for your time and all you do for ME and the next suffering RECOVERING nicotine addict.. we will STAY QUIT NO MATTER WHAT TOGETHER.... singleness of purpose... NOT ONE PUFF OVER ME... keep up the great love my beloved Nancy... gentle hug

0 Kudos