cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nonsgm

Depression and anxiety

Wondering how everyone on here dealt with the depression and anxiety that comes with quitting smoking? meds? etc?

31 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Exercise is good for both depression and anxiety.

0 Kudos
coreinstincts

What if you cannot exercise do to disability? This is what I fall under right now; I cannot even do my own house work at this time 😞

0 Kudos

go to youtube.com and do a search for chair exercises and disabled exercises.

c2q

This is an important discussion to have, nonsgm. At the beginning of your quit, you are going through a mourning period, no matter how you feel about quitting. Blogging helped me a lot - getting that negativity OUT - and joining in on conversations on this site. You will beat this thing. Laugh every chance you get.

Also, really good point, coreinstincts‌. I also get stuck once in awhile in the depression trap over the things I can't do anymore. It helps me to stop comparing my current level of ability to what it used to be. I try to stay in the here and now and make the most of what I can do. Chair exercises like  JonesCarpeDiem‌ suggested are a great option. I like of the ones on youtube, like smart move chair exercises and chair zumba. Just listening to happy, upbeat music reduces your blood pressure, which raises your dopamine levels. Bye Bye depression.

elvan

I was so sick when I first quit smoking that I really could not exercise.  I was in terrible pain and my breathing was very labored.  As time passed without cigarettes, I became stronger.  I was on this site every chance I had, I did exercises while I was in bed, granted, they were not as effective as lifting weights or seriously working out but they did not HURT me and they made me feel happier, like I was doing something.  Chair exercises can be very effective.  There is absolutely nothing that you cannot do if you are motivated...even laying on the bed and lifting soup cans is something.  You CAN do this...I promise you that if you stick with your quit and you stick with this site, you will feel stronger.  You will find a stronger person inside of yourself, one who was being suffocated by smoke.  Stay with us. 

Ellen

Bree19

Hi again.  I've had clinical depression with anxiety and panic for many, many years.  I see a psychiatrist twice a year to have the medication adjusted as needed.  But I still go through bad periods of anxiety and/or depression at times (shorter and less intense than before but enough to frighten me).  

I find my first warning is ALWAYS changing sleep habits.  Either sleeping too much or unable to fall asleep.  And I will not add sleeping meds to my little pharmacy.  So I use some apps on my phone at bedtime.  Either meditation music, nature sounds, guided meditation for sleep/anxiety/stress relief/body scan/mindfulness... To be honest, I think it's the voices of the people I'm listening to that make me fall asleep...not so much what they're saying!  I believe there are loads of free meditation and sleep inducing apps available  on all smartphones.  Go check out what appeals to you.

One more item for your quit tool kit!

Best

Bree

YoungAtHeart

Exercise is one of the best things you can do.  It gives you the hit of dopamine you are missing from not smoking. 

Slow, deep breathing, going slower and deeper with each, is a great stress reducer and  you can do it anywhere, any time.

A bit of hot milk at bedtime produces melatonin, a natural sleep aid.

This is a process, and your body is adjusting to life without its drug. It should level out in time.

Nancy

bonniebee

I agree with everything Nancy YoungAtHeart‌ said above  except the Hot milk (sorry Nancy even the idea of drinking hot milk has always made me wonder if anyone ever really does it !  YUK !  ) Hot cocoa sounds better or herbal tea !

Walking really helped me I felt instant relief from anxiety and  depression as soon as I got out there especially if I  walked at the river or in the woods and listened to music while I walked .I made  habit of walking almost everyday and it kept me from being overtaken by depression .

Sorry I did not mean this to go as a reply to Nancy I do this frequently and I did not feel like deleting and starting all over !

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You can add a bit of sugar and vanilla to the hot milk if you need to.  I started out that way, but ended up sipping it plain after awhile.  Hot chocolate would have caffeine, so not sure that would work as well.

Try it- you MIGHT like it!  You didn't think you could quit smoking either, now did you???

🙂

0 Kudos