cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kylenow

Is melatonin a good sleep aid?

2 weeks into my quit, and I am having a lot of trouble sleeping...restless body, craves, mind-racing. I would like to avoid sleeping pills for the addiction risk, and have heard melatonin can be a safe alternative. Any thoughts?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Warm milk produces it.  You can add a bit of vanilla and sugar if you don't like the taste.  Cheap, easy - and I have found that it works.

Nancy

Melatonin didn't work for me or my boyfriend. I use over the counter sleep aid or Benadryl.

benadryl also for me.  Look up on youtube for some relaxation techniques.  They also suggest 250 to 500 mgs of magnesium taken at bedtime.  Works for me everytime 

JessicaF

I.love.melatonin.  

For the most part, I don't believe in herbal/natural remedies (I think it's the nurse in me ) but this stuff knocks me out. I got a free bottle when the nursing home I worked at closed down & I would say it's just as effective as Benadryl. Which I also love. 

I just really love my sleep

Melatonin works for some but not others. It's definitely safe! I use Mindfulness Meditation to let go of the stress of the day. It does wonders for me!

elvan

Melatonin doesn't do anything for me but my daughter swears by it.  Benadryl (generic) knocks me out at 25 mg.  My daughter can take 50 mg for allergies and can function with no signs of sedation.  I do take magnesium in the evening but I have never noticed any effect on sleep.

I suggest unplugging about an hour or so before you go to sleep...no computer, no television, try silence and concentrating on your breathing but please remember that many people have some sleep problems for a while after they quit.

Welcome to EX...we are glad you are here.

Ellen

kylenow

Thanks for all the responses.  Very helpful.

0 Kudos
kylenow

Thanks everyone for your comments. Very helpful stuff. KOKO

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

One quarter dose of a basic sleep aid works for me. Valerian Root and melatonin have as well. No coffee, or caffeine four or five hours before bed. I got so sick of not sleeping that I practiced concentrating on something neutral...a babbling brook. My eyes closed I'd see a brook and hear it, if a worry entered I said no and went back to the babbling brook.