cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mikecity

Good morning all

Hi everyone,

Happy Tuesday!!!!!  I had the evaluation yesterday for my back.  It is schiosis of the spine.  They gave me some exercises to do and I go back in a week.  I am officially retired now.  I called work and applied for social security over the internet.  

Isn't it great we are set free from nicotine addiction?  No matter what happens, we do not have to light up.  Enjoy your quit!!!  Namaste    

N. O. P. E. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Good Morning Mike.

you're probably doing your own research but

Declining Bone Density Causes Adult Scoliosis

Declining bone density is a major factor in adult scoliosis. It's essential that you find out why your bone density is decreasing if you have scoliosis. Menopause can lead to bone mineral loss which causes the spine to deteriorate rapidly. Bone density loss isn't just a women's issue, though. It may start earlier in women because of menopause, but studies show that by age 70, you lose bone density at the same rate regardless of gender. Millions of men have osteoporosis.

This loss of bone density combined with poor postural habits creates scoliosis curvature in areas of more compression. Maintaining good bone density may require hormone replacement therapy. You may also need nutrient supplements to maintain healthy levels of magnesium, manganese, boron, vitamin C, phosphorus and B vitamins. In addition, aging stomachs produce less stomach acid. This condition, called hypochlorhydria, prevents the absorption of many needed bone density nutrients.

Scoliosis in Adults: Degenerative & Idiopathic Treatments 

0 Kudos
Barbara145

So glad you are taking care of yourself.  I take 5000 iu's of D-3.  Research it.  It is a miracle nutrient. Namaste. 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Congratulations to you on your retirement!  

Hope that you enjoy it!

0 Kudos
Diannnnn

Hi Mike. I've had a couple of chest xrays where the radiologist has mentioned scoliosis of the spine. I am hoping the yoga and Emergen C+ is enough to help, but I plan to ask my Dr when I see him in a couple of weeks. I took calcium when I was on high dose steroids, but maybe I should have continued.

Enjoy your quit and retirement. Namaste

Dian

0 Kudos
elvan

Namaste, Mike.  There are some exercises that may help to slow the scoliosis but it really depends upon the cause and it may be something that progresses very slowly or, like mine, progresses very quickly.  Most scoliosis is not painful, mine is compressing nerves and has made my rib cage unstable so it is particularly painful and dangerous.

0 Kudos
ShawnP

Hi Mike. I have sciolosis too since i was young. After years of repetitive work and waiting too long to get help, i finally started seeing a chiro last week. Its going to take some time but looking forward to being able to move completely again. I bet you are so excited about retiring. I see Rick_M is enjoying his retirement now. I know you will too. Enjoy and Congratulations on retirement!

0 Kudos
tjanddj

Welcome to retirement! I think it is a fun place to be myself. Care for yourself and enjoy.

Trudy

0 Kudos
Strudel

Mike - I certainly hope that the exercises help. Sending a hug and prayers. Big congrats on your retirement! 

0 Kudos
Sootie

WOW Mike----I wished you many healthy years of retirement on Nancy blog before I realized you had this scoliosis problem. Hope they can mange it for you so that you can enjoy your retirement. As I said before.....I hope you will be sleeping later!!!!

0 Kudos