cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

12Finally34

Quit Date

I reread suggestions when to pick a quit date.  I am on vacation till September.  My quit date is 7/25.  Am I setting myself up for failure?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Why would you think that?  You have almost two weeks to do your reading, figure out your triggers and how you will distract from them, get your mind in the right place and then LAUNCH!  I think that is plenty of time.  If you won't be working, then you WILL have to come up with ways to reduce your idle time.  Plan walks, maybe go to the movies, do some jigsaw puzzles, work in a crossword or adult coloring book, find a recipe on the internet to cook for dinner and go shop for the ingredients, maybe clean out that closet you have been meaning to tackle, or the garage?  Just plan AHEAD of time how you will stay busy and you will be fine!  Some here reported they had the cleanest house EVER after the first month of their quits!

Stay close to us- blogging your thoughts is important - glad you are doing that!

Nancy

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Nancy,

Thanks!!  

Using the 100 things to do list.

You are right - identifying my triggers, staying busy with mind and hand is helpful.

0 Kudos
elvan

You are setting yourself up to begin your journey...you have plenty of time.  

Ellen

0 Kudos

As long as you use the time wisely by reading, reading, reading that sounds just fine! You want and need to succeed this time no matter what! Meanwhile, https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/73969-pay-attention?sr=search&searchId=91b51ac0-0eb2-4033...

0 Kudos
Strudel

You CAN do this! 

0 Kudos
Sootie

Triggers come during normal times and vacation times and stressful times and relaxing times........there is no BAD time to quit and no time like the PRESENT to just do it. You don't have to complete all the reading ahead of time. I read almost daily for my first six months......it helped me to read about quitting especially during craves. Pack your reading material along with a positive attitude for vacation. Jump right on in........quitting is the best thing you will ever do for yourself.

Stay Strong

Giulia

Do YOU think you're setting yourself up for failure?  Set yourself up for success by planning on success.  You've gotten good advice above.  Don't doubt yourself and your abilities.  And allow no excuses, such as "I'm on vacation, it's going to be harder to quit...."    https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2013/08/12/understanding-excuses 

12Finally34

Thanks Giulia

When I mentally forget about my support from Ex community, I put conditions and excuses in my mind. I am setting myself up to take that first puff.  I have to remember that I am addicted and my recovery will be bumpy if I keep setting myself up with excuses and what ifs.  

These cigarettes are just as greedy as uncontrollable drinking and compulsive credit cards. 

Carr mentioned one thing that I experienced and became aware of, the cigarettes do make an individual lethargic.  

0 Kudos
Giulia

You have the answers.  You just have to accept and agree to them.  Well, even if you don't accept the answers that you know are true, you have to agree to them.  But it's a whole lot easier if you accept them first!  

0 Kudos