cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

12Finally34

Reading Carr

Ok, I am back!!  Reading Carr with reservations.  

I will try to read the book before the quit deadline on 25.  

Right now all I can do is trust the community because the book is highly recommended and I am trying to figure out how it is going to help me to stop.

12Finally34 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

We have a saying here, "take what you need and leave the rest." 

His plan may work for you and it may not.  BUT - at the very least it will help you understand what nicotine does to your body and mind.  The more you know about the addiction, the better prepared you will be to conquer it.

Do LOTS of reading!!!  Learn all you can, then plan and prepare!

Nancy

elvan

I certainly did not find all of the book to be helpful but I did not find ANY of it to be HARMFUL either.  There were a couple of points that I remember thinking were very much things I could use.  As long as you are not smoking...you are recovering, that's a huge deal.  This really is a journey and every single one of us has been where you are today.  There are also people who will be following you to see how you do and how you grow...no pressure.

Ellen

prjimm01

reading the book is important.  preparing your plan is important.  executing your plan is important.  coming here often is important.  but the most important thing is to quit smoking and save your life.  how you do it does not matter.

Strudel

For me, it helped turn around some of the bran washing I had about smoking. The main takeaway was that I wasn't giving up anything of importance by quitting! Pretty important point! Feeling deprived and feeling like you have to use will power to quit doesn't work for most of us. As Nancy said, take what you need and leave the rest! 

Strudel

That should have read "brain" washing - instead of "bran"!! Sorry! 

0 Kudos
elvan

Oh well Strudel‌ "bran" washing helps with the constipation.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

If birthing a quit can be made a more confident, willing, happy or easier experience, then why not. But if you find that you aren't feeling the groove, that is OK. The way out of smoking is mostly you, everything else outside--all the helpful hints, tips and tricks, philosophies, suggestions, storytelling---it's all there for you to choose what helps you. 

maryfreecig

PS. High five for continuing to blog your thoughts and questions. Way to go. Keep working it.