cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

12Finally34

Thank you and to answer a question

Thank all of you for welcoming me.  I feel hopeful and is preparing myself for the next 140 days a day at a time.  One of the things is to stop looking at the news and movies about climate changes, destruction and brutality.  I am posting a few questions about the medications and I am managing my time to read the recommended book.

I can't remember the name but someone asked did I take the scan and what was the result.  I took the scan in February.  The results is beginning stage of emphysema.

Again thank you all and grateful I don't have to go through this alone.

Carolyn

8 Replies
vanlil

Keep coming back to Ex Carolyn.  Lots of encouragement and support here. You are not alone anymore.............

Lillian  389 days of freedom ONE DAY AT A TIME

Diannnnn

Sorry to hear that Carolyn, but glad you are making the choice to quit! Some get a similar diagnosis and don't.

It does help to know that this community has your back, eh?

Dian

0 Kudos
Roller831

12Finally34‌ Keep coming back.  It works if you work it and work it because you are worth it!  There are so many here who you can lean on and get support from.  One day at a time will be one day WON.  

dwwms

Welcome, Carolyn. I, too had a low dose CT scan done a couple of years ago that showed beginning stage of emphysema. It still took me 2 years to made the decision to quit. (I won't delve into the excuses I used). I'm suppose to get another one, though I'm still playing games with the insurance company about whether they'll cover it or not. I may decide to pay out of pocket just so I know if it's gotten any worse. Keep getting yourself prepared - it will make all the difference. Come here not only for the education, enlightenment, encouragement but also for the feeling that you're not alone. Congratulations on taking this step!!

Doug

elvan

12Finally34  I have COPD with emphysema...it is something that is not reversible but we can do everything in our power to stop it in its tracks.  Exercise, eat right, drink lots of water, use a pool for working out, if possible, go to pulmonary rehabilitation and learn the best exercises for you and keep going.  You CAN do this, it is one day at a time, sometimes, one moment at a time.  Say the Serenity Prayer a LOT...particularly if you watch the news.  God grant the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I am glad you are reading the Allen Carr book.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

12Finally34

Thanks Nancy,  I started working on change by reading and reducing the intake before my quit date.  

I am going to the site you sent me.  Let you know what I learned.

Do I end with my id name or my real name?

12Finally34

YoungAtHeart

Totally up to you on the name thing.  I use mine, only because "youngatheart" is just too many letters to type correctly at the end of everything I write!