cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Legend

Where is it the profanity list?

Jump to solution

Where is the list of profanity words not to be used on this site I can’t find it or is the list not out for us to see?  I did not want to go to all the trouble of typing something up in Microsoft word and post it here and then find out this site says it is profanity then I wasted my time typing whatever I wrote. If there is not a list yet for us to see will there be a list soon for us to look at. I'm  just asking I’m not trying to start any trouble. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

christine_aka_legend Yes, even if I tried to put a list it would be starred out.  Plus POTUS wouldn't ever provide his launch codes right?

Furthermore, the list isn't  static and things may be removed/added over time so keeping it updated could be a challenge. Simply stated, if it changes to *** then it is prohibited.  I have removed some words off the standard list I was provided so that is why some words are getting through.

If you use a word that is on the prohibited list.  No harm or foul if it wasn't directed at another member. Just edit and pick something more benign.  Don't try to trick the filter though.

There are also a fair amount of words on the list that are derogatory racial infused.  Certainly we don't support any such language that doesn't contribute to a welcoming environment for the purpose of quitting.  We accept all walks of life no matter their gender, economic status, race, sexuality, nationality, employment status, etc.

Jennifer_Quit_05-01-14 parties on both sides were guilty in the discussion you speak of.  Perhaps as the "Report Button" is used more consistently then the need for the naughty word list will be lessoned. This goes with the assumption that established members won't react to periodic outbursts and will report content requiring review by the EX Team.  EX Team will evaluate all reports as impartially as possible for the betterment of the community as a whole. All big things grow from something small, so while issues are minimal now, they'll be dealt with rather than ignored so that periodic outburst will not become the norm here on EX.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

48 Replies

My guess - there isn't a list because it would look like this:

lol - just kidding.  Your entire blog would not be scraped - only the bad words and I have never seen you use a bad word in any of your blogs or comments - so really no worries as I see it.  I did comment earlier about someone getting thru hell week and it got the **** (the word we use for the first week quit) but that is OK - it is the price we pay for a couple of jerks who verbally insulted some of our long term members who donate their precious time here to help others.  Sad world.

christine_aka_legend Yes, even if I tried to put a list it would be starred out.  Plus POTUS wouldn't ever provide his launch codes right?

Furthermore, the list isn't  static and things may be removed/added over time so keeping it updated could be a challenge. Simply stated, if it changes to *** then it is prohibited.  I have removed some words off the standard list I was provided so that is why some words are getting through.

If you use a word that is on the prohibited list.  No harm or foul if it wasn't directed at another member. Just edit and pick something more benign.  Don't try to trick the filter though.

There are also a fair amount of words on the list that are derogatory racial infused.  Certainly we don't support any such language that doesn't contribute to a welcoming environment for the purpose of quitting.  We accept all walks of life no matter their gender, economic status, race, sexuality, nationality, employment status, etc.

Jennifer_Quit_05-01-14 parties on both sides were guilty in the discussion you speak of.  Perhaps as the "Report Button" is used more consistently then the need for the naughty word list will be lessoned. This goes with the assumption that established members won't react to periodic outbursts and will report content requiring review by the EX Team.  EX Team will evaluate all reports as impartially as possible for the betterment of the community as a whole. All big things grow from something small, so while issues are minimal now, they'll be dealt with rather than ignored so that periodic outburst will not become the norm here on EX.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

I am not disagreeing with you Mark - If it cannot be said without using a prohibited word then it probably does not need to be said. 

Jennifer_Quit_05-01-14 wrote:

I am not disagreeing with you Mark - If it cannot be said without using a prohibited word then it probably does not need to be said. 

Couldn't agree with you more.  There are always two ways to say things no matter where your opinion lies.  The appropriate way and an inappropriate. I honestly love differing opinions on communities. It really makes things interesting.  But when people lose respect for each other and it just starts getting out of hand it's fun for no one. I actually have a lot of respect for people who are able to creatively write get their point across in a respectful manner without breaking the community rules. And by creative, I don't mean just substituting words or variations in spelling

When I worked for a former technology company I had to ban both people who were for and against the company because they couldn't agree to play nice. It was a tough call when you ban a supporter but in the end I knew it was the right thing for the community.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Legend

Mark  For just a moment I want you to imagine that you are a new person on this site and don’t have COPD yet or any form of cancer from smoking. You blog and are terrified of blogging because you don’t have any friends yet and your emotions are all over the place because you just quit smoking. Then suddenly bam you are censored and your blog is showing you used profanity and you did not think what you said was in any way profanity and now you feel so incredibly humiliated in front of the entire web site you now want to leave and you do leave forever. So now you leave this site and go on smoking because you don’t have any support to help you and you go to the doctor and now you have been told you have COPD. I have been on this site since it first started and I can tell you new people are raw with their emotions and anything can set them off and leave this site and that would be a shame if they left because a computer decided they used profanity. New people are more likely to use words that express how they feel at the moment instead of choosing a better word to use after they get censored. I don’t think all new people are going to go back and rewrite what they said on a blog they are going to just get mad and humiliated and may leave forever. I’m not trying to argue with you I’m trying to let you see how this all could be seen through a new persons mind. I overlook the raw emotion talk of new people I don’t get offended I see a person needing guidance and are bleeding and need help. A profanity list that can be seen might just give a new person a chance to not be humiliated in front of everyone and feel more in control on this site even a short list with common words used. New people will use any excuse to go back to smoking just putting that out there because it is true. If there is a way to buffer all of this profanity censorship I wish you would find a way. We all know some words like 4 letter words are forbidden but the less offensive words new people tend to use maybe give them some buffer room.  I hope I did not offend anyone in admin by writing this. I hope you have a good day see ya.    

Christine_aka_Legend I'm open to hearing which words you believe should be taking off the list?  You can send a list to communityadmin@becomeanex.org. If you post them here, they might be censored. I'd also be curious to see if there are examples of new members who have been subject to this.  I do read a fair amount of the new posts and don't tend to see profanity used by new members.  Certainly I could have missed something but it's not typically the MO for a new member.  Certainly this is a different type of community so I'd love to see where your concerns stem from.

All members, when they join the community agree to the community guidelines. Which acknowledges that we reserve the right to edit any profanity.  Certainly I have encountered some over the last two years and largely haven't edited it provided it wasn't a personal attack toward another member.  But still we reserve the right to do so

EX Community Admin Team

Aren't TWO pictures better than one?

😉

Legend

Jennifer-Quit  Something new to deal with.