cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Beyond Spirometry

Researchers are looking at alternative ways to measure COPD in order to predict exacerbations and hopefully intervene before it leads to ER visits and hospitalizations. That would be helpful. My last ER Visit at the end of June cost a total of $10,000 and will cost me out of pocket $1,200. Obviously, I can't afford these too often! 

So here's what they're thinking:

Smokers’ hand grip strength predicts respiratory event risk | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | p... 

Another point of investigation is how to reduce and control chronic pain for COPD patients that may be caused by comorbidities as well. Less pain means less strain on the lungs and better breathing.

Study Measures Chronic Pain in COPD Patients 

COPD has been overlooked until recently as an old white men's disease but as more folks of all ages are getting diagnosed the research funding picture has changed on all levels. Hospitals are under pressure to slow admissions and readmissions within 30 days. Government is under pressure to control expenses. Researchers are finally getting the resources to develop new diagnostic tools, medicines, and treatments. There is a lot of microbiology opening up looking at proteins and bacteria.

Our job is to individually stay as healthy as we can as much as we can and honestly, it's hard work but R&D will catch up and find better ways to treat and eventually to reverse lung function capacity. I believe this! In our lifetime! In just a few Years! Hang in there and do the best you can to hold on to what you have!

Nothing counts more than staying smoke FREE!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies
elvan

Wow, what an uplifting blog.  I needed this Thomas3.20.2010‌, after my sinus infection began to improve and I could at least TOUCH the side of my face without wanting to cry...the infection affected my breathing.  I was increasingly short of breath and coughing so I sounded like I had whooping cough.  That cough is the sound of obstruction.  After taking all of the medications in my arsenal of OTC meds, I finally had to admit that I really needed MORE.  I used the nebulizer and the coughing stopped.  I added 10 mg of prednisone to my daily dose of 5 mg and I found that my breathing improved significantly.  I am trying so hard to remain as active as possible and to eat well and stay positive, I will admit that chronic pain takes a HUGE toll on my ability to be positive.  I was very uncomfortable after working over 6 hours on my feet yesterday but I was NOT in agony and that is a positive.  I kept taking my back support off because it is so hot but I did put it on and off several times during the day and it MAY have helped.  I know that talking to people helps...meeting new people who are enthusiastic about the menu as well as those who are NOT is quite an experience. I doubt that I could ever work more hours again but working is part of my remaining active.  I have never been to the ER with an exacerbation of COPD, that is not to say I shouldn't have...I just have been really lucky in being able to keep things at bay and improve.  It may not always be that way.  I am afraid that the indoor pool and the aqua therapy are difficult for me...I am not sure if there is anything I can do to change that.  I use my friend's outdoor pool and it makes me feel energized although last week, I was particularly short of breath because I was still in the throes of the sinus infection.  I have to accept where I am but that does not mean that I have to stand perfectly still until the cement hardens around my feet and my lungs.

Ellen

Diannnnn

Ellen, I know we gave you a hard time yesterday, but that is because we love you. You have become an important part of my journey and life in a very short time. I fully expect you to give me grief if you suspect I am not properly taking care of myself!

Dian

elvan

Diannnnn‌ I took no offense to anything anyone said yesterday.  Believe me, I would not want to be my own patient.  I just have to do what works for me and working works for me.

Diannnnn

Thank you Thomas! I agree that proactive healthy actions can help minimize the complications. 

0 Kudos
indingrl

I will stay nicotine free with you my beloved brother Thomas thank you for loving others above yourself to help someone like ME ... to remember I am NOT alone.... While WE all have sufferings... WE will remain in UNITY... NOT ONE PUFF OVER.....anything TOGETHER WE STAY QUIT NO MATTER WHAT... Thanks again for helping ME get an attitude of gratitude for MY nicotine FREE day with you Thomas... gentle hug.