cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

When did Jive go into Auto Censuring Mode?

Jump to solution

So far it seems rather arbitrary and silly in it's choices.  Genitalia is ok but specifics aren't.  Breast and tittes are ok, but b00b (rhymes with tube isn't, EVEN if you use zeros for the double oo).  Pussycat is ok but only if the cat is included.  Test-i-cle,  is not ok even if you spell it wrong (cal or cle), but with hyphens it's dandy, but not p3nis (though tool, wang, dong, prick gonads and balls are allowed.)    Excrement is okay but not it's four-letter variety.   F*nny is outlawed but derriere is permitted.  I guess the French make it special!  (Then what happens when we want to refer to our dear friend on here who passed away by that same name?  Will it just appear with 5 asterisks instead?)  A-hole is all right but only if the hyphen is there.  So I guess we'd better mind our Ps and Qs from now on or become very clever with our hyphens!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

On Monday.

Following some of the profanity for personal attacks that happened in early June we've elected to turn on the profanity filter.  It will *** words that are on the prohibited word list. I realize that profanity isn't always directed at people and thus might be permissible, however as new people(either on their own or by way of their employer/health plan provider) come to the site to look to determine if they want to join, they might be deterred with prevalent profanity. Certainly there is a lot of great PG/G content in the community but it would be hard not to judge a book by the cover if a very active conversation got chaotic and R rated. Having worked with online communities for many many years now, I know they do not survive without order.

This is a sponsored site so "freedom of speech" doesn't exactly reign here.  Membership is always a priviledge and not a right on a sponsored site. We are fairly liberal in our thinking though.  

Moderation and profanity filters are mostly unrelated.  Things will go into moderation independently of profanity. Posts that appear as spam might also contain profanity but it isn't guaranteed.  Profanity is simply *'d out.  Spam moderation detects posts that have characteristics of likely being spam. Unfortunately a computer can't discern yet between a profanity used for a personal attack and profanity used for the purpose of venting. As such, all profanity on the "naughty word list" will be hidden regardless of context.  The naughty word list contains a specified set of words.  It's by no means all-inclusive and while many variants are listed, there are many that aren't included due to the character limit. I don't endorse intentionally bypassing the profanity filter with alternative spellings. In other communities they will actually ban you if you intentionally bypass the profanity filter with alternative spellings.

If you're looking to blow off some steam. We have Uncensored‌.  Profanity can't be turned off just there and personal attacks are always prohibited but it might be a great place if you're looking to be more R rated.

The profanity list is just an initial list and may be modified over time to add or remove words. 

MarilynH I didn't see a mention from you recently. I'm not on vacation and have been on the site. Friday, however, I will not be around as I'm moving.  I don't typically post unless I have something worthwhile to add to the conversation.  So you won't always see posts everyday from me.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

38 Replies
elvan

I don't think it was always part of Jive, I just started noticing it and having to try to figure out what people were saying the past couple of days.  No idea what that's about...you did nearly make me lose control of my bladder from laughing though.

Well at least SOME parts of the human anatomy (e.g. bladder) are permitted!  Here - just in case you need it...

How about fart, rhymes with heart.   We have to realize some may deem somethings in appropriate. 

Giulia

I understand that, Jackie.  But is EX a PG rated show?  Since when?  Isn't it amazing though, how offensive television programs and radio talk shows are with all their "modern" verbiage and nothing is censured there.  Everybody seems to be offended by SOMETHING these days.  And I find THAT offensive!  lol  Seems to me 10 year olds for the more part these days have heard all the bad words in the world.  And most people know common rules of internet etiquette.  

I haven't seen hide nor hair of Mark for a week or so, is he on vacation? Does anyone know? And if so maybe this is how he'll keep us monitored so we're not being stuck in limbo being moderated, hummm just a thought but ughhhhhhhhhh on this bull crap! Thanks Giulia 

Hummmmm, I did a mention and never got a reply we can censor too on this site by not replying to each other because with this new format we know that the mentions notifies the individual, oh well.....

0 Kudos

Well this isn't television and companies have guidelines to follow in order to be in compliance with the law according to the type of website they are operating.  Or it could be simply management just doesn't like what they deem improper and it is obvious they have the option to block it if they choose.  Just like we have a choice to use the site or not. Some take profanity and vulgar language as "normal",  some don't. No free speech or propaganda here. I haven't seen any sponsors lately.

The one that irritates me the most on TV is:

- ladies with an itch. Drives me nuts! Thrown around with way too much frequency! We don't hear men being itchy near as much!