cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Soulshine

Keeping my patch on

My patch seems to sweat off. I have tapped it and I have resorted to water resistant athlete tape I wrap it around my arm. This is the only way I can keep it on. I don't like people seeing  it and asking about it. Any suggestions? 

14 Replies

I found that the cheap brand from Walmart stuck better than the name brand Nicoderm and BONUS, half the price! I wore it on my outer thigh because I didn't want people to know.

0 Kudos
Magstoyou

Hi soulshine. Congratulations on you choice to quit smoking.

In the morning after taking a shower. I dried of my arms real good especially where I was going to put the patch. I don't know what brand patches you are using.  I didn't use any generic patches. If I thought it wasn't  going to stay on I used a large bandaids. They have really good adhesive ones now. So check the baindaids out. I didn't have that much trouble.

Best Wishes for a great quit!!

Mags1455 DOF

Soulshine

Yes.... I tried your suggestion and the top part of the leg with sports tape worked great! And I used the patch for a week and moved to gun. Perfect so far. I definitely dot think I would have made it threw the first week without the patch. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

elvan

So glad it is working for you.  I have heard of others with issues with sweating and keeping the patch on...fortunately, you are not limited to your arm.  

It's going to get easier...that's a promise.  The more time you put between yourself and cigarettes, the better you are going to feel and the stronger your quit is going to become.

Please remember that we are here for you, we want you to succeed.

Welcome,

Ellen

0 Kudos

Could you afford a walk in refrigerator?  🙂

elvan

Soulshine Welcome to EX, I think the generic patches sound like a win/win and so do the bandaids.  I didn't use any patches so I have no experience with them but the people who did can certainly advise you.  Someone recently said they put their patch on their chest instead of their arms but I cannot remember if it was because they weren't sticking or because of a skin reaction.

Again, welcome aboard.

Ellen

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You've gotten excellent information on the patch - so I will leave it to those who have used it and found a solution!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what the nicotine addiction does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Giulia

The only thing I can think of, aside from what others' have mentioned, is to get some of that stretch stuff they use to keep the wad of cotton on after they give you a shot in the arm these days.  But that might get mighty uncomfortable after a while.  Heck, be PROUD of wearing it and brag about the fact that you're quitting smoking, say I!  

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I just had another idea!  Perhaps if you put the patch someplace you don't sweat - like maybe the outside of your thigh or the inside of your ankle or on the top of your foot?

Just a thought.

Nancy

0 Kudos