Give and get support around quitting

red3333333333

When does it get better?

6 days quit when do the withdrawal symptoms get better

14 Replies
Christophina

Hi Red

The answer to your question: SOON!

In fact, with the very next breath of fresh air you take.

Keep breathing and keep reading. This place and the people here are amazing.

I am in No Mans Land on day 51. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for all the help and support I have here.

Christine

Welcome!

You can make a negotiation with your Addicted Brain and make your withdrawal less intense, less often, with less endurance.

Here's how it goes:

"I am the Executive of my Life! I decide what I do and I have chosen to not smoke under any circumstances no matter what. N.O.P.E.! You can kick and fight, throw temper tantrums, carry on but my decision will not change because believe it or not, smoking cessation is BEST! I will not change my mind and I will not give in!"

"Whatsmore, I have decided that I will enjoy each Day! I smile, I joke, I laugh, I take very good care of my body with sleep, nutrition and exercise. I am a Happy Quitter!"

"So I'm sorry that you feel bad for now but very, very soon you and I will feel incredible! We have done many hard things in our lifetime and this is no different! We will do this - together!"

Read quitsmokingonline.com

Read WhyQuit.com

Read The Easy Way by Allen Carr

Read, write, comment here

You are responsible for retraining your Brain! And you can!

Showiestodin

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Very thoughtful and extremely helpful insight. I'll be looking up the resources as well. Thanks again.

Mandolinrain

Hi Red, well its really different for everyone.

My intensity for craves greatly diminished somewhere before the end of the second week. I feel much depends on how well you understand the addiction and the way your brain is wired. Once you understand that your awareness is so much keener and your ability to resist become stronger. Have you read Allen Carrs book o 'The Easyway to Stop Smoking'? That book helped me a lot to quit and stay quit. Also reading many of the blogs on this site and getting involved in this community. Education/understanding the addiction will be key to have a successful quit. You can't fight the Nicodemon if you don't understand what your up against.

Anyway you will have to 'go through to get the breakthrough'. Have you prepared by making a quit kit? I also used Vicks Vapor rub early in my quit. It is amazing to help resist craves. Don't know why , but it works...a little under your nose. I have many friends who used it and swore by it also.

6 days is awesome Red. Believe me, you don't want another first 3 days again....stay here, read . You are doing this, keep going. The outcome is well worth the trials of today

TW517

Oh my gosh, you are me from a few weeks ago!  This was my question the minute I became a member on this site.  I had made it thru some terrible cravings and was feeling smug and proud of myself thinking I had this beat.  Then they came back, wave after wave.  I was minutes from getting in my car to go buy a pack, but decided to Google something like, "I'm having nicotine withdrawal and need help now".  I found this site and the first post I see is from a new member asking, "When do the cravings go away?".  

That's exactly what I needed to know.  I had taken a couple smoking cessation classes and had multiple failed attempts at quitting.  I thought I now knew everything I needed to know to beat this.  But these cravings just weren't going away.  They were starting to interfere with my work because I couldn't focus on anything else.  I was moody, and worried about jeopardizing my family, friends and work relationships.  So fine, if these cravings are only going to last a couple more days, or maybe even weeks, I'll suffer through a while longer.  But if they are going to last months, well then forget it!  It's just not worth it!

I'm 8 weeks free today.  The honest answer to your question is, it gets better very slowly.  And some days (even 8 weeks in) are pretty bad.  That's the bad news.  But it's a little better than last week, a little more better than the week before, and way better than the first 2 weeks.  And the good news is, you found this website!  You don't have to do this alone!  So welcome.  Please take advantage of this by reading as much as you can here, and posting your own thoughts and replies to others as often as possible.  To me, that's been the biggest help of all.

Free2BU

Oh gosh, I am also only 6 days in and on my 7th attempt to give up.  Your experience is just what I needed to read, cause it is all about baby steps and taking each day bit by bit.  Thank you for you truthful account

elvan

Free2BU     Welcome to EX, we are here for you, we all want you to succeed, please do the reading and please become an active participant in the community.  If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.  Quitting is the best thing you can possibly do for yourself, you are at the beginning of a very important journey...you are going to get to know yourself.  One more day and you can celebrate a week free!

Congratulations,

Ellen

elvan

red3333333333‌ Welcome to EX, there is no specific number of days or hours that any of us can give you but we can ALL tell you that your time away from smoking is your friend.  The more days you stack, the stronger your quit will become.  Please do read JonesCarpeDiem‌'s recommended "What to expect the first 140 days" and please read blogs and comment and be a part of the community.  It will strengthen your resolve to see people who have made it through tough times as well as to see people who are actually looking to YOU as someone who has more time than they do.  YoungAtHeart‌ usually tells newbies to read /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke , there is also Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking."  I am not going to tell you that it was easy for me because it wasn't but I WORKED my quit, I celebrated every hour, every minute, every event that I got through smoke free and then I realized I wasn't fighting against the craves, I was celebrating my victories.  It takes time...it does get easier, stick with EX, stick with your quit, and believe.  

Congratulations on six days.

Ellen