cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Giulia

How Safe is Vaping?

Just came across this article.  Thought it might be of value....

How safe is vaping?

July 7, 2017 by Ryan Hatoum
e-cigarette
Credit: CC0 Public Domain

On the heels of another damning statistic against tobacco—it kills more than 7 million people each year, the World Health Organization said recently—come questions about whether vaping is a healthier substitute.

The idea that they could be stems from the fact that e-cigarettes and other vaping devices can supply nicotine without tobacco or other additives and byproducts, like smoke, that are in a traditional cigarette. A 2014 survey of 19,000 e-cigaretteusers found that 88 percent believed e-cigarettes were at least safer than regular cigarettes and 11 percent believed e-cigarettes were harmless. More recently, a report published by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that only 22 percent of adults believed secondhand vape aerosol caused "a lot of harm" to children.

The public, it seems, has warmed up to vaping, but that doesn't mean the practice is safe, say two UCLA doctors.

"The way a regular cigarette is constructed is very well-known, whereas these vaping products haven't undergone the rigorous testing of other consumer products," said Dr. Michael Ong, associate professor of medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and chair of the California Tobacco Education and Research Oversight Committee. "They're so new that it hasn't been clear how they should be regulated."

Vaping entails using a device that heats liquid and nicotine (or another substance) so the user can inhale the byproduct. Vaping devices come in the form of e-cigarettes, vape pens, and even electronic hookahs. They typically generate a plume of vapor that mimics smoke.

Last year, the Food and Drug Administration finalized a rule requiring all vaping devices to undergo testing and regulation that will evaluate "ingredients, product design and health risks."

Such testing is still in progress, but many local governments are already moving to treat vaping like tobacco cigarette smoking. California's passage of Proposition 56 means e-cigarettes and vaping products will be taxed in the same way as cigarettes and other tobacco products. The state also prohibits vaping in those areas where smoking is prohibited.

"When it comes to smoking versus vaping, we need to consider the distinction between what's 'safe' and what's 'safer,'" said Dr. Holly Middlekauff, professor of medicine in the division of cardiology at UCLA. "I would not discourage a tobacco smoker from switching to e-cigarettes, but we need more research on vaping risks and how the two compare. I would definitely discourage a non-smoker from starting to use e-cigarettes."

Health concerns

Though vaping devices don't contain tobacco, most still have nicotine, a highly addictive substance that has many potential effects on the body.

"We're first and foremost concerned about nicotine's effect on brain development in young adults, since the brain is still forming even into ages when we might call people 'mature,'" Ong said.

In a 2011 study led by Edythe London, professor of psychiatry at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA, researchers found a strong association between adolescents' addiction to nicotine and lower levels of activity in the prefrontal cortex.

At very high levels, nicotine is toxic and can be lethal. This underscores the importance of avoiding an unregulated environment for vaping, Ong said.

Middlekauff finds the marketing of vapes to young people especially concerning.

"E-cigarettes are marketed to youth using dessert flavors and young, hip models in the ads," she said. "Many of the same advertisement strategies that were used for tobacco cigarettes are now used for e-cigarettes."

Substances used to create the signature smoke effect in vapes can also carry risk. Glycerine and propylene glycol, for example, can create carcinogens. To minimize harm, consumers need to understand how such substances are being used, Ong said.

While the cardiovascular risks of cigarettes are well-documented, researchers are continuing to study the risks of vaping devices.

Middlekauff co-authored a recent study finding that habitual users of e-cigarettes were more likely than non-users to have signs of oxidative stress and higher levels of adrenaline in the heart—two prominent heart disease risk factors. Her team is currently comparing the effects of tobacco cigarette use and e-cigarette use on the heart.

Undoing the public health gains

Social acceptance of e-cigarettes, some experts say, could re-normalize the use of regular cigarettes—especially among adolescents. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 31 percent of vaping device users started smoking within six months, compared to 8 percent of non-users.

Recent data shows that youth are no strangers to vaping. According to a CDC report based on data from 2016, more than 10 percent of high school studentsreported using e-cigarettes. The good news: the CDC recorded a drop in e-cigarette use among high school students compared to the year prior.

From a public health perspective, Ong suggested it is better to be cautious in rolling vaping products out and regulating their use rather than dialing back on them once consumers have all the data.

"In the past, when we just assumed certain smoking products were safer, there were negative consequences," Ong said. "We ended up exposing a lot of people to harms like secondhand smoke, which can cause all sorts of health effects, before we fully understood their implications."

Read more at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-07-safe-vaping.html#jCp

Labels (1)
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I found these articles awhile back:

E-Cigarette vs. Cigarette Use in Adolescents 2011-2014 | HealthGrove

Forty-seven of the 51 e-cigarettes and liquids tested in the study contained diacetyl or a chemical that “may pose a respiratory hazard.”

“Since most of the health concerns about e-cigarettes have focused on nicotine, there is still much we do not know about e-cigarettes,” said study co-author David Christiani, Elkan Blout Professor of Environmental Genetics. “In addition to containing varying levels of the addictive substance nicotine, they also contain other cancer-causing chemicals, such as formaldehyde, and as our study shows, flavoring chemicals that can cause lung damage.”

E-cigarettes are battery-operated devices that turn flavored liquids and nicotine into vapor. In 45 of 50 states, e-cigarette use is not necessarily outlawed in otherwise smoke-free venues.

Alex Hider is a writer for the E.W. Scripps National Desk. Follow him on Twitter @alexhider.

E-cigarettes are often touted as safer than traditional tobacco products, but according to a study released by the Harvard School of Public Health, they may still be extremely harmful to smokers’ health.

According to the study, 75 percent of flavored e-cigarettes and refill liquids tested contained the chemical diacetyl — a chemical that causes an incurable disease known as “Popcorn Lung.”

“Popcorn Lung,” otherwise known as bronchiolitis obliterans, causes scarring in tiny air sacs in the lungs that lead to excessive coughing and shortness of breath. “Popcorn Lung” earned its nickname in 2004 when several workers at a Missouri popcorn factory developed the disease.

Though diacetyl is often associated with buttering flavor used in popcorn, it’s also found in fruit and alcohol flavorings often used in e-cigarettes.

What’s even more disturbing is that diacetyl was found in a number of e-cigarette flavors that could appeal to children, like “Cotton Candy,” “Fruit Squirts” and “Cupcake.”

Safer than jumping off the Sears tower?

Sears_Tower_ss.jpg

Mandolinrain

Personally, I don't get it. WHY.....would anyone think 'vaping' is a good way to stop smoking?

Our oldest son vaped. He even admitted it was a waste of time and money because it just prolonged the journey to his quit. All he did was re enforce the hand to mouth habit as well as the inhale/exhale . Even when he vaped without Nicotine. His own words were ' should have just up and quit rather than drag the misery  on and on and on....."

gladly, he finally has quit and did it cold turkey....or like our friend SkyGirl says...'Smart Turkey'.

Just my thoughts.

Giulia

I don't know.  I mean if you get yourself educated and understand that one of the major factors contributing to smoking is the hand-to-mouth connection, and you're vaping no nicotine whatsoever, I can see how it's possible to use vaping as a tool.  Just like I did "pretend smoking" straws.  Except - thinking out loud here, pretend smoking straws didn't really give me that much of a "boost" after a while.  And I suspect vaping - even with zero nicotine - is still giving you a boost of sorts, psychologically, greater than the straw did.  Because when you exhale from the straw there's no "smoke" for example.  So that part of the connection is simply not there and is eventually (and it doesn't take too long) rather unfulfilling.  So after a while its like "what's the point?"    Whereas with vaping you've got a similar "visual" exhale excitement so to speak.  And perhaps with vaping (I don't know since I've never tried it), you actually feel something going into your mouth and lungs.  Like something is happening.  Whereas 'pretend smoking' a straw or simply putting your two smoking fingers together and inhaling, holding it and exhaling, doesn't quite give you the same feeling/visual.  

I want so much to believe that vaping can be a tool for those who want to quit.  But it seems there are so few who use it for that purpose who don't return to the real deal.  It just seems to ultimately be a no-win situation.  Because even if you get off cigarettes, which are worse for you (as far as we know right now), you're still hooked on something else that is costing you good money which could be used for so many other things of better value to your life.  Aside from the fact that you're inhaling a substance which is still understudied and problematic as to it's physical detriments.  

And part of the purpose of quitting - well no, that's not true.  What I was going to say is that part of our purpose, the reason we quit,  is to no longer be a slave to our addiction.  But that's not why we quit.  That's one of the blessed things we learn during the journey of becoming smoke free. We don't KNOW we're addicted to the substance and have become it's slave.  We only glean that through the kind of education we get on EX and elsewhere.  

If I weren't so afraid of going back to another day one, I'd try an e-cig (without nicotine), just to see what it's like.  But I was offered that opportunity by a dear friend and was too chicken to try it.  And I don't mean chicken in the pejorative sense, I mean in the wise sense.   Red flags went up immediately when it was offered.  Nothing scares the hell out of me quite so much as imagining another day one.  That thought keeps me in safe harbors.  Not One Puff Ever reminds me of my one puffs that lead back to another day one.  NADO!  

Diannnnn

I too thought about the e-cigs before I quit, but there just isn't enough known about them and they wouldn't save me money. My brother used one for awhile instead of smoking and he said he coughed less and his sinuses improved, but when the unit died, he went back to regular cigs.

Now I am not even tempted because I really don't want anything unknown in my lungs.

0 Kudos
elvan

Both my oldest daughter and my son tried the e-cigarettes and both were unsuccessful.  My daughter said the weight was off and she did not feel any satisfaction and they were quite expensive.  My son bought a whole set up and used it for about a month, he is still smoking.  My daughter ended up using the patch and has been smoke free for over a year and a half.  I would not smoke ANYTHING...I am not thrilled about having to use the nebulizer albeit very seldom.  I would not inhale ANYTHING that I did not HAVE to.  My poor shriveled up lungs have been through more than enough thanks to my poor decisions.  

Legend

My son tried the e-cigarette and it never helped him quit. My son does not smoke right now because he does not have any money to smoke and I'm not supplying the money to keep up his habit. I don't think e-cigarettes are going to go away anytime soon. 

0 Kudos
Sootie

I feel as Marilyn does----I can't see that an e-cig is going to help you quit smoking. PERIOD.

Now, if you want to "fool" yourself that it is healthier......I guess you can. That's like a light cigarette is healthier than a regular cigarette....or...how about from the "olden times"???......"Tarryton is better----charcoal is why!" Yeah---let's inhale some charcoal with our nicotine and 500 other substances.

E-cigs are just excuses to continue a "smoking like" activity. And the WORST thing (in my opinion) is---not only do you not quit smoking but you don't save any money!

Lungs are made to inhale air and that's all.

Wish I'd learned that sooner.

Glad I know it now.

coreinstincts

I would like to refer you to this article on vaping E-cigarettes DO help smokers quit - and more should switch to vaping 'for the sake of their health',....  You should get both sides of the research before you condemn the person for vaping. I have been cigarette free which is much worse than vaping now for 10 days and have had 1.8% nicotine put into my bloodstream which less is getting to my brain. That means I am stepping down slowly but more rapidly than I had anticipated actually, as now I am done using the patch (they never stay on anyway). Therefore all I have left is my vap and my prescription and I am on day 10 I would never have made it this far without the vap; how, do I know this? because I had already failed once before, and I wasn't about to fail again and a friend of mine bought the vap pen for me so this quit not only is for me but them as well because they invested in me...

Lee 10 DOF

0 Kudos