cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Diannnnn

Any Last Minute Tips?

I will be smoking my LAST cigarette soon! My plan is to put on a patch before I go to bed to help with the just woke up up, need a smoke to think craving. I didn't have a problem with sleeping with one a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully this will still be true.

I have a bag of carrots, broccoli and celery to take with me on the airplane, gum and throat drops, and some of those mini nicotine lozenges in my purse. Medical tape and patches in with my meds and I'm taking my big cool gear water cup with me. 

I cannot believe how happy and excited I am! I thought I would be more scared, but you all have helped me see that there is nothing to fear. This is the absolute best thing I can do for me and everyone around me.

Time to join the ranks of EX and non smokers!

Dian

Tags (1)
19 Replies
YoungAtHeart

and the journey begins!

Safe travels!

Nancy

Diannnnn

Thank you Nancy!

0 Kudos
Giulia

Just do what you said you're gonna do:

"My Dad has a pool, the beach is minutes away and I have a new neighborhood to walk through. If I wake up craving, I will jump in the pool. If I get antsy, I will go for a walk or go to the beach and practice yoga poses. I will not worry about counting calories and steps, I will just do what I feel. I am on vacation for 5 days, but taking a permanent vacation from cigarettes. I will fill my lungs with the Gulf air, dig my toes into the white sands and enjoy my family...all the while NOT smoking."

And understand that your journey and ultimate success comes from your head, not your NRT.  Tip?  Yes, come here and read during your vacation.  STAY CONNECTED to this site.  It will help reinforce your resolve.  Tip?  Yes, allow no excuses.  NONE.  Stay true to you,  although it's tough, you will awaken each day with another Day Won.  Not another day one.   

Diannnnn

Thank you! I already had to tell myself, "I don't do that anymore!" Then my addicted brain started to argue and I told it to shut up! I am sitting on the patio with my coffee and breathing non-smoky air. I can already smell things I would have missed; the grass, the Downy from my t-shirt, my coffee...taste isn't back yet, but it shouldn't be long. I'm already smiling because I cleared the first hurdle. I know there will be many and that they will spring up unexpectedly, but I am ready. No stupid, nasty, body-killing, money grubbing addiction will best me!  I chose to kick the monster's butt. (Boy that sentence really would work better with a certain three letter word.) I watched Hercules the other night. Yep, the one with The Rock <eg>. The scene where he told the soldiers that the shield wall was only strong with all of them together...that is how I feel about EX. You all banded together to form a shield wall against the nicotine monster and you gather more to strengthen the line and each other. I am so grateful to be a part of the army!

I, that was longer than I meant..sorry.

Dian

0 Kudos

I will echo what G said! It's not about NRTs - your challenge will come from your Addictive Thoughts! Thoughts are not commands no matter how compelling they are! You can change your thoughts at any time by grounding yourself 100% in the here and now. Where am I? Really look around and pay attention! Do a body scan from toes to head. how do I feel in my shoes, in my clothes, in this place....Scan all the way through your body and especially focus on your breath. Feel the air enter your body travel down your esophagus, through your lungs. Feel the motion of your diaphragm. Feel the exhale from beginning to end and do it again! Focus on breathing breaks up the reaction of the amygdala and calms you into a state of Executive Control instead of Addictive robotics.It stops the obsession. 

You can do this!

freeneasy

Remember that you are not giving anything up you are regaining your freedom. Any crave or smoking thought is a cry from the nicotine monster. Don't feed it and it will stop.

Diannnnn

I'll feed it all right....wonder if it would like some lovely cough drops?  

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Just one tip - ride those craves out and do not smoke no matter what!  Enjoy your vacation!

elvan

Biggest tip and the one that helped me the most...NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.