cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bonnie.s

Vaping

I ended up at a bonfire briefly last night.  Not my crowd but hubby insisted we stop and say hi.  Anyhow a large part of the crowd were younger (early 20's).  I couldn't help but notice them all sucking away on their little vape contraptions.  I guess that's the new "cool" thing.  Sure did look stupid to this 40+ year old.  I don't know much about vaping and was wondering is it believed to be safer than smoking a cigarette?  Or is this just the new "fit in" thing?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
prjimm01

I used to do it on airplanes!  No smoke!  anyway, some vape products have nicotine so you can figure that one out on your own.  some do not.  no smoke or vapor is good for you.  vape may be less harmful but may be not.  thank God I don't do that anymore!!!

0 Kudos
elvan

bonnie.s‌ I think it is dangerous, there are people who have gotten addicted to the nicotine they are vaping...it is not a "treatment" for addiction, it's a shame that something else that is dangerous has surfaced.

prjimm01

oh, I forgot to mention - a relative had his e-cig explode and burned his leg and car seat!

YoungAtHeart

E-cigarettes are often touted as safer than traditional tobacco products, but according to a study released by the Harvard School of Public Health, they may still be extremely harmful to smokers’ health.

According to the study, 75 percent of flavored e-cigarettes and refill liquids tested contained the chemical diacetyl — a chemical that causes an incurable disease known as “Popcorn Lung.”

“Popcorn Lung,” otherwise known as bronchiolitis obliterans, causes scarring in tiny air sacs in the lungs that lead to excessive coughing and shortness of breath. “Popcorn Lung” earned its nickname in 2004 when several workers at a Missouri popcorn factory developed the disease.

Though diacetyl is often associated with buttering flavor used in popcorn, it’s also found in fruit and alcohol flavorings often used in e-cigarettes.

What’s even more disturbing is that diacetyl was found in a number of e-cigarette flavors that could appeal to children, like “Cotton Candy,” “Fruit Squirts” and “Cupcake.”

Giulia

There is tons of information on the internet about vaping and it's harms. And also those who are selling it and think it's great.  You really should do your own research and come to your own conclusion about it.  

The general consensus by NIH and others in the health care industries, is that it's still too new to determine whether and how much damage might be done by vaping.  Because it is still unregulated you never know what amount of nicotine or other substances and their quantities are in the vape you're inhaling.  It took YEARS for health care industries to learn from their studies that smoking kills us.  

That vaping is probably less harmful than smoking cigarettes seems to be true across the boards.  So, yes, in that sense it's "safer" than smoking.  But then what happens 20 years down the line when there are longer studies and it's proven that vaping does it own kind of damage to our lungs?  

To me the point is - inhaling anything other than plain old AIR, (unless you live in a garage with your car turned on), obviously is not what your lungs are made for.  That our bodies can adept and adjust to the poisons we inhale is the blessings of our bodies.  But at some point after years of inhaling things we shouldn't,  our bodies let us know that our choice was ultimately really stupid.  

"sucking on their little vape contraptions"  --  what an apt description!  It's such a diminutive.    

Is arsenic safer than cyanide?