cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gcor

Intense itching with the clear patch?

I've recently changed the location of where I'm putting my off-brand Nicorette CQ clear patch, to my chest basically right on my heart. For me this solved the issue of my intense muscle aches down my arms when putting the patch on either shoulder. However, I've found that the second I put the patch on, I have an INTENSE and unforgiving itch take over right where I put the patch. The skin under the patch and around it is bright red and irritated. I've found that the itch will go away if I can leave it alone for more than about 10 minutes but it's incredibly uncomfortable and annoying! Has anyone else had this problem??

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Barbara145

I believe everyone experiences that response.  My Doctor told me I could use cortisone cream after I take the patch off.  I found that it goes away on it's own.  Congrats on your quit.  You are doing this.

0 Kudos
gcor

Cortisone cream is a good idea, I might try that. I wonder if I could put it on BEFORE I put the patch on, since it never itches when I take it off, just right when I put it on. 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

As Barbara said it does get less intense as time goes on.  Be sure to put the patch in a different spot each day and use cortisone cream.

0 Kudos

I itched too but it went away after about 15 minutes.

0 Kudos
gcor

Yeah, weird how intense it is, and then it just goes away. It's probably just the initial nicotine seeping into the skin. 

0 Kudos
freeneasy

I got a red rash that itched just a bit from the 21 mg patch. I switched shoulders every day. When  I removed the patch the rash took a couple of days to go away. When I went down to the 14mg patch the rash stopped.

0 Kudos
gcor

I'm going down to the 14mg patch tomorrow actually, I'm very excited! I can't wait to just be DONE, patches and all. I have gone through withdrawal from a few things in my life (3 years strong) and am not afraid of any physical withdrawal, however if I can avoid it I will. I'm going to do the 14 for probably only a week, then 7, then I'm done! Wish me luck for tomorrow! Has anyone felt weird when they go down on the dose? I feel like I probably won't notice it but who knows. 

0 Kudos
Kimba60

I'm just the opposite, i did not itch with the 21mg, but i do with the 14mg patches.

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Hi gcor‌, congratulations on your quit!!! I had a similar problem with the generic patch, I kept changing the location every day, and treat the spot with cortisone cream. 

Good luck tomorrow, but you won't feel the difference, you'll see.  Once you set your mind in the right direction, you will sail right through to freedom!

0 Kudos