cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

First Day of Summer and QUIT DAY!

So far, so good.  I have been a pack and a half a day smoker for about 32 years.  I quit once when I was 22 for five years and attended Nicotine Anonymous meetings which seemed to work for me.  I quit again with each of my pregnancies but started back almost immediately after delivering.

I began taking Chantix a couple of weeks ago and today is my quit day!  My last cig was at 10PM last night.  Today, I know I can do this!  I have so many reasons to quit and I know life will be better as an EX-smoker.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone, celebrating our milestones, and offering support where I can.

Cheers!

RollerCoaster831 

Tags (1)
7 Replies
gardenancy8

Kudos to you on your quit! That is really awesome! Come here and read read read as much as you can, it helps so much with the craves.  Check out the Best of the Ex section on the main page, there are some really good blogs on there to help you get through your quit and make it stick.  Good for you on putting yourself first and quitting the poison. Welcome to the group! 

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  Quitting can be a rollercoaster ride.  You have come to the right place to scream.Congratulations on day one to quit smoking.. This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. 

We will support you. You are on your journey to freedom

elvan

roller831‌ Welcome to EX, so happy that you are here and that you have made this wonderful decision for yourself and your family.  Please pay attention to what JACKIE1-25-15‌ has advised you.  I would also suggest going to JonesCarpeDiem‌'s page and reading "What to expect the first 140 days."  I read and reread that page when I quit.  It was a lifesaver for me.  Education was the most powerful tool in my quit, the support I got from this site was priceless.  I have been quit for over 3 years and I still remain active here because it reminds me of my journey and it always helps to give back.  I did not know there was a Nicotine Anonymous but I certainly would have taken advantage of those meetings if I had.  Remember when you are craving a cigarette that the cigarette won't fix anything and that no crave ever killed anyone but no sane person can say the same thing about smoking.

I am really glad you are here, please do not hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to help.

Ellen

MarilynH

Welcome to the site you've definitely made the best decision for your health and family, it's the greatest gift that you'll ever give yourself which is the gift of LIFE! Stay close to this site if you can, drink lots of water and keep your mind as well as your hands occupied, be sure to read everything you can about quitting smoking and Remaining Quit because there's a wealth of information to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom, this evening you can say YAY for Day WON! N.O.P.E  - Not One Puff Ever will give you a beautiful smoke Free Life. 

Diannnnn

Good Luck roller831!  I am still 10 days away from my date. My best advice is to really Hear what the Elders are telling you. I wasn't really listening and I am paying for it now! They have been through the wringer and back, they know of what they speak!

You've got this!

Dian

gcor

You can do it! I'm on day 24 and I'm feeling great. No more feeling like I have strep every time I wake up and having to clear my throat every time I talk...gross. Anyway, use this site as much as possible, I've found it to be very helpful and every one here sincerely wants the best for you. You've made the first step of deciding to quit and starting Chantix, that's great! The next few days will suck. I made myself a little quit-kit for my first week. I bought tons of gum, dum-dums, sunflower seeds, straws (cut them in 1/2 or 1/3s and breathe through them. oddly satisfying) and toothpicks just to satisfy that hand-to-mouth urge. I also had some amazing coworkers who physically held me back from going outside a few times during my first few days. 

Best of luck and if you need anything we're here!

-Grace

elvan

gcor‌ GOOD for your coworkers!  That is very impressive!