freeneasy

Your Brain, Cravings and cutting off nicotine

Discussion created by freeneasy on Jun 20, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 by Marilyn.H.July.14.14.

Several new quitters have asked about cravings and when they stop in discussions recently. All of us have lots of experience with that issue. Everyone pretty much agrees that the most intense and uncomfortable cravings occur in the 1st 3 weeks or so, but can still be pretty bad for some time after that.

Here is an article I found regarding the nicotine receptors in a smoker's brain and what happens to them when a smoker quits cold turkey. It describes a scientific study that was done where they measure a number of nicotine receptors which they think correlate to cravings. It was done in 2009 and contains a lot of scientific jargon but I think it's pretty interesting and probably relevant.

They come to the conclusion that it takes 6-12 weeks for the brain to compensate for the absence of nicotine.

I'm not saying that this is when the craving completely stops It's just more food for thought.

Abstinent Smokers' Nicotinic Receptors Take More Than a Month to Normalize | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) 

Outcomes