cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gcor

Hello quitting world!

I've been smoke-free for three weeks today! I've been smoking since i was 17 (I'm 25 now) and 3 weeks ago I decided to do something good for myself.

I'm using the 21mg patch still and will continue for another week before stepping down. I've found that the patch pretty much took my desire to smoke away completely, aside from a few cravings here and there (and my habit was not a small one, let me tell you that...) What is more important, was that the patches allowed me to get used to a life without cigarettes. It's amazing how different your life actually becomes when it's not separated into 30-45 minute segments between smoke-breaks. I found that the hardest part was just adjusting from the behavior of walking outside and lighting up, to doing...well I guess anything but that! I've exchanged these behaviors with biting a straw or having a lollipop, but after about a week I didn't really need that exchange...I just started living life...

I'm scared, however, of what's going to happen once I'm off the patch...will I become dependent on the patch? Will I crave it? I just want this whole smoking thing to be over with already, and the patch regime is not a quick process (but this isn't a quick process no matter what)

So, I guess I just wanted to kind of see if anyone else has this worry, or if anyone had that worry but overcame it and successfully quit the patches, and how you did it. I'm tempted to just stop using them all together but don't want to sabotage my awesome progress. 

Also, does anyone get arm aches from putting the patch on your shoulder? I've really had a hard time with that lately. 

15 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Congratulations on quitting smoking and your three weeks of freedom!

I hope you are changing the location of the patch each application?  If not - that should help.  I have heard others have the same problem. If you are moving it around, perhaps you can try a different brand - generic vs. name brand or vice versa?

As far as coming off the patch - as you step down to a lower dose, you are gradually decreasing the nicotine until the final step is pretty low.  I know some have noted they had mild withdrawal symptoms then - but nothing that you shouldn't be able to handle.  The nicotine is out of your body in a matter of days and your body has had time to adjust to a lower dose, so any discomfort should be mild. 

You are doing the REAL part of the work now - learning to live your life without the crutch of smoking.  Each time you are stressed or angry, or lonely, or bored and find new ways to deal, you are doing the hard work of quitting.

You will be fine!

Nancy

gcor

I was changing the location daily from my right to my left shoulder, but actually discovered putting it on my chest pretty much right on my heart. It has stopped the aching and is working great!

Thanks for all the kind words, I would have never guessed that I could be a non-smoker (or ex..) but I'm doing it and I feel great! This seems like a great community and I'm happy to be a part of it!

never heard of an arm ache from a shoulder worn patch

0 Kudos
gcor

I did some research and found that it wasn't a common experience, but not uncommon either. I think it was just because it was right on the muscle...I'm not sure. Moving it to my chest has worked very well though and I will probably keep it here from now on. 

elvan

gcor  WOW, congratulations on three weeks, that's awesome.  I did not use the patch but I don't remember anyone talking about having a problem getting off it once they got to the lowest dose.  I think the people who are the most successful are the ones who use the patch as directed and wean down as directed.   It is amazing to realize how much time we have when it doesn't all have to be around smoking.

You are doing GREAT!  Welcome to EX.

Ellen

gcor

Yeah I've decided to just continue with the program, and gradually lower the dose...I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks for the support!

gcor

Thank you! This community is truly amazing, and I'm more than excited to be a part it. I can't wait to see what the future has in store!

elvan

gcor  So happy to have you here...stay close by and read blogs, also do all of the recommended reading...education about nicotine addiction was vital to maintaining my quit as was and IS coming here and reading, commenting, and blogging.  It's a great site and the people here will do anything and everything to help you quit and STAY quit.  Remember that quitting is a journey and not an event, it is one day at a time and sometimes, when a day is too long, it is one minute at a time.  I am so happy for you, doing this when you are so young, that is WONDERFUL, you will avoid many of the consequences to your health.

Ellen

Ready2021

Hello My quit date was June 5 you will love it here no doubt these people are the greatest Im happy your here enjoy this journey embrace it Im still working it