cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gcor

Successful quitting with patch?

Hi guys,

I've smoked for the past 8 years, and finally decided that I was DONE! This is, amazingly enough, the first time that I have attempted quitting. I have gone 21 days without a cigarette (3 weeks!) and am extremely proud of myself. However, I have chosen the patch route, and have actually seen a lot of negativity as far as studies and rates of relapse. I'm still on the "step 1" patch (21 mg of nicotine) but after I use all of these I'm going to attempt step 2 and continue from there. Has anyone had success with the patches? If so how long have you been an ex? If you tried the patch, whether or not it worked for you, I want to hear how you did it, or what went wrong if it didn't end up working.

Thanks everyone!

-Grace

8 Replies

Plenty of us quit the first time. People who do it over and over choose their own path with excuses and no understanding of what quitting is. They complicate it. They fight themselves until they give up.

Decision Willingness & Acceptance

/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

in my case, it was a blessing.  The step down between strengths was tough for a few days.  Use this time to go back and look over the part where you tracked your cigarettes and pay attention to the part of what I will do to separate from this trigger.  Now, there are theories that using the patch for 6 months gives you better results.  I've seen no tests that prove that or give solid test scores.  I don't know if staying on the patch for that time gets you over the emotional garbage that's yet to come.  Some people have it and some don't.  That's what makes smoking so frustrating, it's different for everybody.  We all go through the same stages but at all different times or sometimes not at all.  I think I'm fairly newly quit at around 500 + days (a year and 5 months or so).  I smoked 2 packs a day for 43 years.  Started smoking when I was 12 and made it a full-time hobby by the time I was 16.  So I lived through the era of it's only just a "habit".  Do your homework on here.  Go through the steps they have laid out in the beginning.  Get as much knowledge as you can.  Once you've noticed that you've gone a day without the patch, then you don't need them anymore.  the physical only lasts for about a month.  the psychological lasts as long as you let it hang around.  Trust the process and don't fight it.  I never imagined myself without a cigarette in hand and just look at me now 😉

gcor

Wow, thank you so much for your kind words! It's awesome that you are so far in, congrats! I think I'm going to do step 1 for another week, then step 2 for maybe 2 weeks, then step 3 for 1-2, then maybe some gum if it gets difficult. I've actually been taking the patch off at night and have spent several waking hours and multiple sleeping hours without it. I don't really wake up craving which is surprising, so that's why I'm possibly considering just going without and seeing how it makes me feel. Maybe keeping one in my pocket or something just in case I get a bad craving. My most difficult times are after meals and in the car. I've started a little tradition where instead of smoking on the way to work, I get myself a coffee. It's worked well because I have something to look forward to and it gives me that little buzz that I got with smoking. 

Thanks again, it's inspiring to hear how all of you guys have gotten through it. There are some strong and wise people here that I will try to take advantage of!

Take care,

Grace

I know I kept the 7 mg patches in my desk drawer for a month or two after I stopped using them.  I think I had like 10 or 12 left out of the pack.  It was somehow comforting to have them there "just in case."  I would give you words of advice and not use the gum.  you're only reinforcing the hand to mouth when a craving hits.  Try your favorite mint or gum or even a flavored toothpick instead.  You can also go to https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/nicotine-patch-users?sr=search&searchId=edbb1d32-7bdf-421b...‌ group and read some articles there too.  Welcome aboard, you'll do just fine 😉

bonniebee

I used the patch and it worked for me I quit over twenty years ago cold turkey it was very hard for me but I did get to 3 months before I relapsed .  This time with the patch  it really took the edge off the craves for me, I am now 28 months free and feeling so happy about this quit journey !

The patch is not a miracle worker You still have to do the work .....NOPE = not one puff ever !!! Discipline, and a very firm commitment ! This site has really helped me not just in the beginning but even now . Of coarse I am through the withdrawal long ago but being an addict makes one vulnerable to relapse especially when anger or a crisis hits that is when it is so important to come here for support and to support the elders and quit buddies through there trials . Most importantly for me has been to be here to give back  to the newbies just like Ex'ers were here for me .

When using the patch try to stay with it all the way through it is tempting to just quit it but in my humble opinion I have seen to many do that and then relapse .

If you have a strong hand and mouth habit use a straw ( cut into thirds ) this really helped me to beat the habit while the Patch  helped with the craves from the withdrawal .  the straw and deep breathing also helped me not to rely on food constantly as a substitute for the sickerettes !

sayings quit keep going.jpgsayings quit congrats.jpgsayings congrats.pngPlease feel free to message me with any questions about the patch or anything else for that matter .

gcor

Thank you for your reply, it really makes me feel proud and supported in my journey! 

maryfreecig

Welcome and congratulations on three weeks. I'll leave it to those who've tried/used the patch to comment on that. Patch or no patch, it's your quit to work through one day at a time. Keep working it!

Diannnnn

Hi Grace,

I will be using the patch starting 7/2. I was actually using it incorrectly over the past 3.5 weeks which the Elders on here tried to make me see, but it took me quite a few days to get the message. I wish you all the luck in the world and will follow you to pick up any tips I can! 

These folks are awesome! They tell you like it is and tell you the Truth, which is pretty valuable in the world today and especially cool considering this is kind of a life or death deal for some of us.

Welcome gcor!

Dian