cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Diannnnn

Greetings

Hello group!  My name is Dian and I have COPD.  I am newly diagnosed and have read quite a bit, but know not everything always gets written down.  I am 54 years old and have smoked for 33 years.  I am 2 weeks away from my quit date and can use all the advice, support and warnings I can get.  My skin is pretty thick, so don't be afraid to lay it out however you feel is best.  I am exercising, learning to breath the right way again and trying to develop healthy habits that will allow me to live as normally as possible.

Thank you Thomas3.20.2010 for guiding to this group and for the valuable and interesting information you have made available!

If any of you think that I might be able to help you or answer a question, please never hesitate to ask. I will not answer a question I do not feel qualified to answer. I will research the heck out of whatever I say and be mindful of overstepping my bounds.

Cheers,

Dian

P.S.  I learned how to mention individual people.....yay me!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
8 Replies

Dian, were you told what your FEV1% is - i.e., lung capacity? Were you given a general mild, moderate, severe diagnosis? It's important to know what your baseline is. That way you can track your progress in self care.

Best Wishes, Thomas!

Diannnnn

Thomas, I have just been told by one of the nursing staff that my results are consistent with obstructive pulmonary disease.  I messaged her back asking if I was still waiting for a call from the pulmonologist who read my results.  If he is not contacting me, I will be contacting him for a more specific discussion of my results and what they mean.

Thanks for the info on the FEV1%.  

Dian

0 Kudos
elvan

Diannnnn‌ I am a retired RN but I learned more about COPD from Thomas3.20.2010‌ than I ever learned in schools or from docs. He has some really good points on what to ask and how to interpret things.  I honestly would not have known about a low dose CT Scan if he hadn't talked about it.  It was because of HIM that I requested it.  He is AMAZING!

Diannnnn

I love researching, but I don't think I would delve as deep as he has! 

Low dose CT scan, check.

Showiestodin

Hey Dian. I'm relatively new here. I have COPD too. I smoked for 34 yrs.. I'll turn 46 yrs. old this July 18th. I'm on day 3 of my quit. I wish you well. You all can message me if you need anything, to talk or just as a distraction from quitting. I have learned that keeping my mind off of it helps so much. Good luck to all of you and me included:)

Diannnnn

Showiestodin Welcome!

Well, I found out Tuesday that I dodged the COPD bullet as long as I maintain my quit (11 days). I have developed Asthma, which is treated basically the same but isn't progressive. I still can't believe how lucky I am. 

Regardless of what it's called, we both have allowed an addiction to harm our lungs and have other detrimental effects on our lives. Makes you want to travel back and slap our younger selves, eh? Never dreamed one of my exercise goals was to be able to climb a flight of stairs without losing my breath.

Thank you for the offer of support! I offer the same back to you. Last few days have been rough, but I am making it through. One step at a time we can beat the addiction and the habits that went with it.

Best to you,

Dian

0 Kudos
Showiestodin

Congratulations for no COPD. You must be relieved. I'm just starting to learn about the disease. Wish me luck. Keep me in your prayers.

We can do this. We are doing it. We have become non smokers. Let's keep up the good work and positivism.

Keep me posted and I'll do the same. 

Sincerely,

Cathy

Diannnnn

Thomas3.20.2010‌ is the local expert on COPD. Read his stuff and concentrate on being more healthy in your diet, activities, etc. Obviously the #1 thing is to stop smoking, which we are doing.

Glad you found this community, it is awesome!

Dian