cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tina26

General Support

hi tam, I was thinking that the steps will be a big part of my program...stubborn is my middle name
0 Kudos
536 Replies
shelly13

quit 11/19/08 w/minor relapses....still not sure how this site works...guess I was expecting emails to my email address and I am thinking you don't know anything until you sign on to this site.....
  Anyway....all support is appreciated. Thanks and happy holidays.
0 Kudos
susan52

Well- I can see this site is without activity, but I am a friend of Bill W, and I am proud to say that I have 21 years without feeding one addiction, and 13 hours now without smoking in the new year. Step 1- I am powerless over smoking for sure. I olan to get more meetings in to help with this process, but this site has been wonderful.
0 Kudos
a.d.

Hey Susan I am glad to see there's someone around. I let go of my favorite addiction a couple years ago and now want to get free of the cigarettes as well. Oddly enough, after meetings is my favorite time to smoke!
0 Kudos
melro1973

Today is my 10th day without a cigarette. Yesterday, I was talking to a friend of mine and told her I quit smoking. Her exact response was, "Why would you do that?"
0 Kudos
susan52

Oh- hi, A.D! I check in on ths site every few days. Glad to see a new post! Good for you for being sober and smoke-free. Most of the meetings I go to have a lot of non or ex-smokers, so even there I have felt the pressure to quit. When it becomes socially unacceptable to smoke at a MEETING, you KNOW it's time to quit! Stay in touch!
0 Kudos
a.d.

I was just telling Jules I went to a meeting last night where most people are smokers. They recently stopped smoking in the meeting itself, thank goodness, because I couldn't have handled it. All the people there that I am friends with were smokers except one girl. But everyone was very supportive and interested. I was surprised by this because as a smoker, I never took any interest when someone "quit." The only thing that's gonna be hard is walking through that throng of smokers right outside the door. It is so completely automatic to stand around and light up.

I used to love that meetings were one of the last places it was socially acceptable to be a smoker. Now I wish it was more like your situation.
0 Kudos
Diana20

Hi... Good to see you all here. I too pop in to see who is here. now there are some.. My dream last night was set at a meeting.. (My favorite place to smoke b4 and after....) Well I threw those cigs down and walked out of the meeting... I cant rmember it totally right now but it was a good dream. Didnt use!
  I am going on a retreat Friday-Sunday. CDA... 50/50 smokers/non smokers... I am rooming with a non!!! Should be a nice cleansing weekend...I work all next week so if I 'm not around this is why.... Take good care of yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
susan52

Yay- some action on the site! Three of us now- maybe more will join. I also never really paid attention when someone quit in the program, A. Now I will be all over it. Glad you are going to a retreat, Diana. We have a great womens' retreat at the ocean here every year in March.Patty O was our speaker last year- not sure if you know her, but she rocks. This year I will be going with my non-smoking friends and not have to wander over to the smoker crowds all the time. I am also more on the site during weekends, but check in a few times during the week. Stay safe, sober and smoke-free. Maybe we will get some more friends of Bill W on this site soon. Peace!
0 Kudos
a.d.

Hi napper, thanks for reminding me of that, I know my sponsor would say it a lot in the beginning. I would ask God to direct my thinking, etc. in the middle of the day. And I definitely wish I had done that today. But, I have not had a drink or a drug (including nicotine)! Also on my third day smokefree, 2 1/2 years sober. Goodnight!
0 Kudos