cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ready2021

My birthday is coming July 4

This has been heavy on my mind this week I am totally focus for this recovery stage and im very serious about this quitting at this stage of my life however my birthday is July 4 and we all know most of us celebrate this hoilday I have been invited to 2 parties that weekend and for some reason im feel weird because i have now quit smoking people place and things right? I usually have a frozen something or a nice sweet glass or 2 of wine but this year I know i have to avoid spirits I know it will trigger at this early stage any suggestions would be glady appreciated.FB_IMG_1474214264860.jpg

s

0 Kudos
16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Have a plan!  That plan would include not drinking even one alcoholic beverage.  Perhaps take a treat of your own, maybe a Shirley Temple,  and be sure to have your cold bottle of water from which to sip handy at all times.  Other parts of the plan are to find folks who aren't smoking OR drinking to hang out with ---- and make up your mind ahead of time to excuse yourself if it gets to be too difficult.

With a plan in hand, you will be fine!

Nancy

MarilynH

I agree with Nancy above me, that's perfect advice, you can and will be successful, stick with N.O.P.E and vigilance but you can enjoy the festivities of July 4th as an Ex Smoker and I think that's awesome, chin up and hang on tight to the best gift that you'll ever give yourself which is the gift of LIFE. 

0 Kudos
Ready2021

Whats a Shirley Temple and what does it consist of the only plan should be is not to drink at all I gotta learn how to enjoy myself with out certain things, Thanks for reminding me that I do need a plan I was thinkin should I even go

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

A Shirley Temple is a drink made just like an alcoholic one - but without the alcohol.  They are often fruit/punch type concoctions that are yummy and alcohol free.  You can look for recipes on the internet ---- maybe take a frosty cold mug of one with you!

P.S.  My quit date is July 4th - we can celebrate your birthday and my five year anniversary TOGETHER!

Nancy

MarilynH

I'm not sure what's in a Shirley Temple except it's alcohol free, hummm I'll mention YoungAtHeart she probably knows what it consists of and you'll definitely relearn how to enjoy things without the crutch of smoking, it may take a little time but it's totally worth it. 

0 Kudos
elvan

I am in absolute agreement with Nancy on this.  You really don't need alcohol to celebrate, I did not drink anything alcoholic until I had been smoke free for six months and I came very close to smoking.  I would have been horrified...I just made my excuses and left the party.  Look up non alcoholic beverages, you will find lots of different suggestions and you can bring your own.  

0 Kudos
Ready2021

Thanks for all the love and support I love smoothie s so I'll make myself

birthday smoothie s

Mandolinrain

I agree with what everyone has said. DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL. PERIOD. I told myself if I had to depend on alcohol to give myself permission to have a good time....then I have another addition I better attend to as well.

I drank water with lemon or lime or both. Now they have great calorie free flavored water too. And hey...if someone wants to know why you are not drinking, just tell them you just don't care for any , but thank you anyway...then enjoy yourself!

0 Kudos
Ready2021

Great advice I will do just that

On Jun 14, 2017 8:48 PM, "Mandolinrain" <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

0 Kudos