cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Diannnnn

Bad Feeling after PFT

For those who have had a Pulmonary Function workup, did you leave worrying that the news was going to be worse than you thought?  I went today and had my first PFT and left feeling like I may have underestimated the level of COPD I might have.  Couldn't prize an opinion out of the tech and she made an effort to ensure I left with the card of the Pulmonologist who would be reading my results.  She knows my primary care and agrees he is excellent, but made sure to tell me that if I want to see one of the pulmonologists in their practice they were all excellent.  

I hate getting bad grades on tests!

Dian

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

I feel your pain, Dian! Try not to anticipate - just lock it away as much as possible until you know. If you need to blog out your feelings go to COPD‌ and pour it all out on your keyboard. We have been through this and so much more and perhaps can share some ideas for you. You might want to start with this @So, You've Been Diagnosed with COPD: Now What? You also may find it helpful to understand your test results https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/copd/blog/2015/06/26/pulmonary-rehab-week-2  For me, anyway, even with bad news Knowledge is Power! Meanwhile take heart in that you have made the best decision you can possibly make - with or without COPD - that is to Quit Smoking! You can't go back but you can do the best with what you do have now! Best Wishes and Big Gentle HUGS!

Diannnnn

Thanks Thomas. I am working my way through all the posts/blogs in COPD. I may have to go against my orderly nature and skip around to read what you recommend as I am still a little too hyper to sit and read for extended periods.

Thanks for being here.

Dian

0 Kudos
jbliesmer

I think anytime we are faced with the unknown, we tend to think of all the bad outcomes.

And, more often than not, we are wrong.

So focus on your right now. The results are going to come. Regardless of how much you fret over them.

LIVE

Diannnnn

Thank you. You are right, me worrying will not change anything. No matter what, I am giving up the poison. So I will stay my course and keep trying to make healthy choices mentally and physically. I will stay close to my new friends on EX because they give me more support than I could have hoped for!

Dian

0 Kudos
shashort

Yeah I am with you DIan, I had PFT at the end of April and I thought I did really well considering the COPD fact and I quit smoking for a year, I just knew they would be better, then the Doctor comes in and tells me my PTF is down from last year. Shoot I flunked that test and now have to go back through pulmonary rehab.  So I understand the anxiety of results but it will be what it so need to stress over it.  I hope you did better than you thought.

Diannnnn

Pulmonary rehab, what? Oh dang, there is gonna be more to this than simply quitting smoking, exercising and eating right isn't there. I wanna take the Tardis back to 1984 and kick my young, stupid azz!! No, my mental language is not that ladylike....I was a sailor after all.  ;o)

<deep breath in through nose, pursed lip exhale>

It's ok. It is what it is. I started thinking about a quit date today. I fly to Fl July 2 for a few days with family.  2.5 weeks seems a long way out, but I am setting that as my No Later Than date.  I will continue to consciously reduce and maybe I will be ready before then. 

Sorry I rambled..thanks again!

Dian

0 Kudos
elvan

Diannnnn  Please pay attention to Thomas3.20.2010‌ and go to the COPD group, it's frightening but it is not a death sentence.  I had to laugh at your comment "I hate failing tests"...I felt the same way.  I found out my results the day I had the tests done.  I had 60% function in one lung and 20% in the other and believe me, I tried like a crazy person to get those numbers up.  I DON'T fail tests, this was horrible.  As soon as my doc saw the results, she changed my inhalers and gave me some ideas for things to do.  She said to get some bubble juice and blow bubbles and to get a harmonica and practice with that, much to the dismay of my cats.  It was a while before she did more testing and it was at my urging.  I asked for a Low Dose CT scan of my lungs and I also asked to have my heart checked to be sure I had not already done damage. My Low Dose CT scan led to her ordering a VQ Scan which showed that I would benefit from Lung Volume Reduction Surgery.  It had been two months short of two years since I quit when I had the surgery and they removed both upper lobes of my lungs because they were so damaged.  The recovery was challenging BUT, it did make it easier for me to breathe because I was no longer "trapping air" in my upper lobes.  This is a journey, Dian, it took a long time to do this damage, it takes time and effort to get better.

Ellen

Diannnnn

Ellen, 

Trust me, I am paying attention to Thomas. I've followed he and the group. Hopefully Saturday I will have time to sit down for some serious studying of all the info here. Another crazy day here and by the time I am done and have eaten, my eyes are drooping and my brain is done for the day.

Thanks for reminding me I am impatient about 33 years of damaging my lungs. I have got to nail this meditation thing...not only will I drive everyone around me loopy, I really don't need the stress.

Dian