cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

free2be2

back after almost 3 years...

Hi everyone!

Here I am again . It's been almost 3 years free of smoking. My quit date was 08/25/14. 

Being totally confident that I was never going to pick up that cigarette again. I was doing so well.

I started slowly.. having 1 cigarette maybe once a week socially, then 2 or 3 . After a month or so it steadily progressed to the same amount I was smoking before I quit, 10-15 cigs a day.. It's been almost 3 months now that I am back to the habit I don't like. Mad at myself.. I can't believe it I am doing it to myself again. At least now I know where to go and what to do.

Hoping that I can do it again and be smarter next time.. I have hope, but I know it's not going to be easy. 

Grateful for this place with so much support and information, going to dig all info that helped me last time. Picking up the date again.. July 1st really spoke to me, Don't want to prolong this agony .. 

Any advice and support would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

47 Replies
dwwms

No need to be mad at yourself - you've learned a valuable lesson that many of us learned the hard way. I blew a 2 year quit thinking I could smoke "socially" and blew so many more trying to bargain with the addiction. Just one occasionally, perhaps if I smoked cigars instead occasionally, even tried e-cigs thinking maybe that would satisfy. None of it worked - I'd eventually end up where I'd been if not smoking more.

I'd suggest educating yourself again about the addiction - a great resource is Allen Carr's book -http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdfhttp://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

It really gave me a different frame of mind going into this quit. There are plenty of other resources here on this site and elsewhere on the web. Glad you decided to come back - this time will be the last!

free2be2

Thank you for your kind words. I will have to read that book again. Thank you for the link. Yet another valuable lesson..

0 Kudos
elvan

free2be2   I cannot tell you how sorry I am that you are smoking...when I started to read your blog, I was so excited that you were so close to your three year anniversary, mine was in January.  Alright, that said...PLEASE do not think of this as a "habit", it is an addiction and recovering from this addiction, like any other addiction is a one day at a time journey.  Quitting is not an event, it is a journey.  Do you remember N.O.P.E.?  Not One Puff Ever...do you remember any of the phrases you HAD to have learned here?  "Keep them away from your face"?  How about, "I don't do that any more"?  "The only way out is through."?  "One step and then another will get you to where you want to be"?  Those all helped me immensely...what also helped was to track my cigarettes and to identify my triggers.  Once I had done that, I was able to make a plan for what I would do INSTEAD of smoking when a trigger occurred.  Believe me, triggers occur...there will always be good days and bad days, that is called life.  I was a serial quitter so I absolutely do not believe that beating yourself up does any good, I DO believe that education about this addiction is absolutely vital to a successful quit.  I also believe that staying close to this site and reading and blogging and commenting and forming relationships makes a HUGE difference.  I smoked for a long time and I did a LOT of damage to my poor lungs...the damage is irreversible but I am not giving up on my life.  Once I quit, I made a promise to myself that I would be absolutely honest...I promised that I would ask what smoking a cigarette would do to change whatever feeling I was having that I wanted to get rid of.  Would smoking a cigarette take away my physical pain?  Would smoking a cigarette make me feel less stress?  Would smoking a cigarette help me to focus?  Would smoking a cigarette make me have more fun? Would smoking a cigarette take away anger?  The HONEST answers were ALWAYS no...once I thought about it, it was kind of embarrassing that I had smoked thinking anything was going to get better as a result.  Smoking does nothing FOR you but it will do lots TO you and none of what it will do is good.  I read Allen Carr's book and I was really able to relate to some of it but I will never say that quitting was easy for ME.  I worked my quit, I came here every morning and every evening, I read blogs, I took the advice of the elders, I did it one day, one FEELING at a time.  I have never regretted for a moment, the fact that I quit.  It has made me a stronger person and it has allowed me to grow...in ways that I SHOULD have grown many years ago.

Welcome back,

Ellen

free2be2

Thank you Ellen,

i absolutely forgot all those phrases. Thank you for all these great reminders and your advice to stay close and honest. 

Ill have to start from the basics again. Yes tracking my cigarettes and identity all the triggers. I honestly thought I was done.. yet another awakening. It's an addiction not a habit.. got carried away and forgot how hard it was to quit. I remember that this site was crucial for my successful guit at the time. I'm glad I can come back and try to do it better this time. Re-educate mysel once again. I appreciate your help.

Lana

elvan

We are here, we want to help, we want to get you back on the right track.  We all know that you can do this...no more beating Lana up...let's HOLD Lana up and let's help you find yourself again.

Best,

Ellen

Lady86

Hello and welcome back. You have a great attitude and that's already a huge step towards freedom. I always have Allen carrs book on my person (seriously) I whip it out for a reminder and to remember why I need to stay vigilant. I believe in you! Stick close to here the people are fabulous  

free2be2

Thank you for your kindness! Warms my heart!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry that you lost your quit. I have the tendency to be a little bit curious when someone had longevity and then lose it. This inquiring mind of mine needs to know.  So I look over one's history and i usually find that there is a pattern for some quitters to get a really good quit established and then leave and they are on their own.  I suggest that you stay connected a little longer.  No you do not have to be here every day all day.  But be regular.  There is strength in numbers.   We will support you.  Welcome Back

Image result for welcome back meme

free2be2

You are absolutely right. I thought I could take it from there and do it on my own...thank you for your support 

0 Kudos