cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bvaux34

A New Chapter

Today is my quit date. Yesterday at 5 pm was the last time. I am super excited to be doing this but also scared and nervous. My husband is doing it too, although not as happy about it as I am. He says he deals better with it by not talking about it, so I can't talk about it. I found this site and hopefully can find some people on here to talk about it with. 

15 Replies
elvan

Welcome to EX, there are lots of people around here to talk to and you will get lots of recommended reading that will help you.  PLEASE remember that no matter what your husband does with HIS quit, you own YOURS and he owns HIS. If he smokes or if you smoke...that does not mean that you have broken the contract with yourself.  That's what it is, it is with yourself.  There are a lot of newbies on here and you can all share what you are feeling.  Remember that smoking will not change anything you are feeling, it does not make anger go away or sadness or pain or ANYTHING.  It just distracts you while it is trying to kill you.  Take it from someone who is suffering the consequences of thinking it would help.  Now that I am on this journey and making healthy choices for my distractions, I am a different person.  I am the person I was meant to be all along and that's an amazing feeling.

Welcome,

Ellen

maryfreecig

Welcome. Congrats on quitting. You've come to the right place to "talk about it!"

Keep it one day at a time....with all the willingness you can summon make this your quit and yours alone.

Glad you are here.

0 Kudos
dwwms

I've already noticed that you've found lots of other newbies here to share your journey. It's perfectly normal to be nervous & scared and excited about quitting. Number one thing is having a positive attitude - if you feel like you're fighting to quit, you are probably not gonna win that fight. Anything that is on your mind, you will find people here more than willing to talk and help in any way we can. Congratulations on your decision!

Doug

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. You have come to the right place for a new day and a rebirth. This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. 

We will support you. You are on your journey to freedom

0 Kudos
bvaux34

So far it has been amazing. I felt better the first day. Have not really had cravings and when I start feeling funky I have drank some cranberry juice and it helps. Little less than three days in and feeling great. I assume at some point it will get tougher. Thank you all for the uplifting encouragement!

0 Kudos
elvan

bvaux34   You have gotten some great advice on reading material from Jackie.  Might I add that you need to remember that smoking will do nothing FOR you, only TO you.  You just MIGHT be one of those rare "happy" quitters.  You might not have to go through some of the withdrawal that others do.  You are already feeling better, that's awesome.  It will get better and better.  The farther in your rear view mirror that you put smoking, the stronger and better you are going to feel.

Ellen

0 Kudos
ChangoGrande

I'm on Day 27, bvaux34‌, and my early days--well, they're still early days, so let's say my very early days--were about the same as yours, no cravings.  Until Day 4, that is.  I was climbing the walls that day, just had to keep distracting myself.  Spent a lot of time on quit-smoking sites and forums (although hadn't found this one yet--now it's my fav!). Spent a TON of time playing Candy Crush.  

Day 5 I was back to "normal" (or what I like to hope and think is normal and will remain that way)--no cravings and hardly any smoking thoughts.  It has stayed that way since.  So for me, it's been easy compared to what I hear from others.  I believe it almost all has to do with your mindset.

Oh, and I hope your Day 4 isn't like mine was!  (except for the non-smoking part)

bvaux34

This is Day 4. So far so good. Will keep my fingers crossed! Congrats on almost a month!

0 Kudos
ChangoGrande

And congrats on another day smoke-free!

0 Kudos