cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Daniela2016

Is second hand smoke a big trigger?

Since quitting smoking I don't have time to speak with old work friends who still smoke; one of them quit about 6 months ago after a heart attack, 3 stints followed by open heart surgery for a triple bypass.  How much more advanced notice does he need? I told him about the website, but I can't quit for him.

How dangerous is for my little nicotine receptors (I sure hope they are shriveled pretty well by now) if I spend time outside with my friend while he is smoking?  I never grew to hate fresh cigarette smoke, nor do I feel the need to have one when we are spending 5 short minutes talking outside.  However I don't want to push it, and make the exposure something I "need" to have, and not something that is happening once or twice/week.

I sure hope, with NOPE in mind, and 450 precious DOFs, that I should let life happen around me and not be scared.

What would you say?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Giulia

In answer to your title question - do you want it to be?  A trigger?  I think it becomes a choice, like anything else in our quits.   In the beginning of my quit, sure, the smell of a cigarette would make me want one.  Didn't matter, though, because I had made a total commitment and nothing was going to sway me from that decision.  Now?  If I smell a freshly lit cigarette and pass by that smoke - I love it.  It's like taking a lick from that chocolate ice cream cone that a friend offers.  Doesn't mean I have to go run in the store and buy one.  It's a nice smell.  (Unless it's one of those stinky kinds.)  I remember it fondly.  And  so what?  It's something I used to do.  I don't do that any more.  Nor do I have a craving after that brief sniffing.  I kind of liken it to passing by someone making popcorn.  Or going to a movie theatre and  managing not to spend $10.50 on a box of popcorn simply because it smells good.  When the movie's over (heck within the first 10 minutes of the movie)  - the desire for the popcorn has long since faded.  

As addicts I think we're always in danger of reverting to our smoking selves.  As quitters, we have a say in the matter.  In a sense we have to eliminate our own free will regarding that next choice of a puff  and sometimes pretend we have no choice but NOT to smoke.  When we eliminate the option and the choice to smoke - the only thing left is freedom.  

Angie-Lah

I wouldn't do it. For me, the "trigger" of second hand smoke is more reason for me not to smoke it, it repulses me and makes my nose want to shrivel up inside my face. It sounds like you don't have a desire to smoke, but you also aren't bothered by it which could be risky and could lead to just one puff here, one puff there, one cigarette a week, and then you're back to smoking full time. I go out of my way to limit my exposure to second hand smoke. For one I get vicious headaches, and for two, no one in my social circle smokes except my family. They go out in the garage, which means I don't get to spend much time with them, but I also won't have any desire to bum one off a family member. Is there nowhere else in your workplace that you can spend time with this friend? I can't tell you one way or the other which is the right decision for you, only you can do that. I know I wouldn't want to expose my body to the effects of second hand smoke since I went through all the work of quitting to begin with.

MarilynH

A very good morning to you Daniela2016 , I'm really sorry about your friend but you're right you can't quit for him but you can be there as a friend and every so often you can just mention this site and hopefully he'll make the decision to quit. Please be EXtra Vigilant with your quit, I'm also around the second hand smoke quite often with my sister in law, my daughter and her man and my son's fiance, most days it doesn't bother me at all but every once in awhile even with having almost 3 yrs quit it's like wow I'd like to have one then I tell whoever I'm with that's smoking that I need to go inside, just be aware of how you're feeling okay, huge hug for you. 

Jennifer-Quit

I think almost anything can be a trigger if you let it.  In the beginning, I did my best to avoid being around it.  But now, I will very occasionally join a co-worker on break while she is smoking.  I do enjoy the smell of fresh smoke and it does not (for me) trigger a crave. You need to listen to yourself and do what is best for you.  If it is stirring up memories and urges - I would avoid it.  Hope you are doing well!

YoungAtHeart

The REAL question, I think, is whether second hand smoke is a trigger for YOU?  Like Giulia‌, I love the smell of cigarette smoke wafting on an outside breeze.  It does not make me want to smoke.  It's like a quick visit with an old "friend."  I don't feel envious of those smoking; I feel empathy.

You need to decide for you.  If you are firm in your commitment, you should be fine.  Give it a try; if it becomes a trigger for you, explain you want to spend time with this friend, but that you can't when they are smoking.  Then - don't.

Nancy

dwwms

I have found thus far since I quit that I do not enjoy the smell of smoke most of the time. Only occasionally has it created a trigger. Obviously listening to others here, it's different for everybody. The last time I tried quitting, it was a huge trigger, it ultimately made me start again, but looking back, I do not believe my commitment to my quit was strong enough that time. It's different this time - I believe the commitment to remain smoke free has a lot to do with it.

elvan

Daniela2016   Hello there, Daniela, good to see you.  Second hand smoke does not trigger me but I do everything I can to avoid it.  I did not quit and spend all of this time trying to get healthier to suck up someone else's waste products.  I did go outside with my friend at work when she took a smoke break, I just would not sit on the bench with her and I always made sure that I was not down wind of the smoke.  I don't like the smell...I don't think I EVER liked it.

Ellen

Lady86

Hello. I find for myself it can be. I can't be around too many people smoking at the same time. I'm still pretty fresh at being quit. I feel guilty offering advice. It's all personal preference I believe, depends on your day your mood and mindset. All my friends smoke and sometimes I'll join them outside like I said depends on my state of mind and if it's yucky weather out then I have no problem staying inside lol    Stay strong    

freeneasy

I like the smell of smoke in the air outside unless I'm with a crowd of people smoking.  If it's just one person you can probably handle it. Just stand upwind.