cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lindyboo

New to the site, any patch users?

Hello from Atlanta! My name is Lindy, and I have been smoking about a pack a day for 10 years... been contemplating quitting the last 3 years. I recently cut back to 10 smokes, then down to 5, and at this point I started using the nicotine step 2 patch (3 days ago). I have taken about 3 puffs off of coworkers cigarettes in the last 3 days, but am committed as of today to puff no more! I just quit my bartending job in exchange for a nanny position that requires me to be smoke free. This definitely increases my chance of success,  but I also feel the patch is necessary while I'm transitioning. So far I've been noticing all of my psychological triggers and it's crazy how deep my addiction runs! The patch seems to wear off after 7 hours, and last night I took it off at dinner time and was fine until I put one on for work the next morning. Anywho, if anyone out there has successfully used the patch, I would love to hear from you... how long did you use it,  at what point did you taper down,  and do you think it eased your withdrawl? 

Thanks for reading, and lots of love to the veteran quitters and my quitting colleages

15 Replies
elvan

Welcome to EX, I did not use the patch so I cannot help you with that part but there are lots of people here who did.  The psychological triggers are much stronger than the physical ones.  PLEASE remember that smoking really does nothing FOR you, it does not help with anger, sadness, pain, stress...or any other feeling you might experience.  You can come up with healthy distractions now...exercise, deep breathing, drinking lots of cold water, meditation, dancing, singing...any number of distractions that will help you.  Congratulations on your new job as a nanny, that will be MUCH better than bartending for maintaining a quit.  You CAN do this!

Again, welcome.

Ellen

Mortalzeus

Welcome and Yes I used the patch 24/7 for about a month.  I also used the highest dosage at all times and never transitioned to a lower dose.  After about a month, I forgot to wear it one morning and did not realize this until late in the day and decided I didn't need it anymore.  A bit like taking the training wheels off!  FYI, I was a pack a day or more smoker for over 35 years!  Hope this helps and STAY STRONG!

Darren

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

In addition to the advice you found here you might find other reading material in Nicotine Patch Users‌ or searching Patch.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Jennifer-Quit

Yes I used the patch - I was a pack a day smoker for 40 years - give or take.  I used 21 mg for 3 weeks, 14 mg for 2 weeks, and 7 mg for 1 week.  It helped but making up your mind to do it - not one puff ever - is the number one most important thing.  I have been quit a little over 3 years now.  Best wishes to you.

Quitting smoking is more of a behavior change.

It's unlearning what you are used to.

The nicotine keeps you coming back but only while you are still using it.

I used the patch my first two weeks. Forgot the third day. Continued the next until I forgot two days in a row, then, I stopped using them. I put one in my wallet with a promise to reach for it instead of a cigarette if I ever felt overwhelmed.

Never needed it once I realized It Wasn't Nicotine I Was Missing. It Was The Ritual Connected To My Memories And Emotions.

elvan

lindyboo   THERE you go...the "A" Team, those with experience using the patch have come to your rescue!

Diannnnn

Hi Lindy from Hotlanta! I am currently working towards 3 weeks with the patch and it is doing great for me.  I am using the 24 hour 21mg and have still allowed myself to smoke as needed.  I have noticed the amount I smoke and the pleasure garnered has decreased greatly over the last few weeks.  I hear you about the triggers....I didn't think being tired in the evening would be one, but it is.  I am currently evaluating whether or not I might need to put a fresh patch on prior to the 24 hour mark as I tend to crave more toward the end of the life of each patch.  As far as stepping down, I am not even considering that yet until I get some prescriptions out of my system and I feel strong enough to try.  Failure is not an option with me as I am probably going to receive an official COPD diagnosis within the next week.  They don't make the electric scooters in stores fast enough for me to find riding one hauling an O2 tank around an attractive proposition.  It sounds like you have consciously made choices that will help you be successful.  Of course, there are others on here who have WAY more experience at this rodeo than I do.

Good luck on your smoke free journey!!

Dian

0 Kudos

If you've quit smoking and you are still smoking, you are doing it wrong.

Diannnnn

I haven't quit, I am in the process of quitting.  And is there really a wrong way to reduce the amount poison in your life?

0 Kudos