cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ready2021

Good Afternoon

I'm a newbie just quit o June 5,2017 can anyone  tell me what am I suppose to be feeling because I feel like crap, I'm depress I'm irritated I want to be alone foggy headed confused I'm drinking plenty of water don't want to gain to much weight, my snacks are veggies Complete cold turkey no aides at this time when does this crappy feeling go away?

Help me!!!!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
YoungAtHeart

The way you are feeling is perfectly normal.  Here is an earlier blog for your enlightenment:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2013/01/21/early-withdrawal-symptoms 

You can expect to feel pretty lousy for the first couple of weeks.  But - it starts to get a bit better each day after that.  The only way out is through! 

Hang in there - the light at the end of the tunnel is bright AND wonderful!

Nancy

gregp136

Yup, yes, you are feeling exactly right for the first day.  Every day you will feel better (with a few throw back feelings).  But remember, we are all different.  Some people breezed through the first week or two, others really struggled.  The key is stay close, stay focused on why you are quitting, and think of the oy your lungs will be feeling in a few weeks!  We are here for each other!

0 Kudos
elvan

Ready2021  Welcome to EX.  Do the reading that has been recommended, not sure if you have read Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking"...I know there is an online copy available, I took it out from the library.  You said this is complete cold turkey, think of it as smart turkey, it helps. Whenever you really think you want a cigarette, first of all, say NOPE, Not One Puff Ever, then say, I don't do that any more...then be completely honest with yourself about what you THINK that cigarette will do for you.  It won't fix pain, stress, depression, or any other thing you can come up with.  It won't help you to focus and it won't fix whatever you might be angry about. Your addiction will tell you that it WILL, it is YOUR job to dismiss that, to be HONEST with yourself.  I promise you that it will get easier and that every crave you get past, every situation you handle without smoking, will give you a new memory...and a newfound confidence. This is a one day or one step at a time journey and sometimes a day is too long and you have to commit to a MINUTE, sometimes you have to take BABY steps.  You are embarking on a journey to get to know the REAL you, the you who has been hidden in a smoke screen.  Give it time, be patient with yourself.  I would recommend going to JonesCarpeDiem‌'s page and reading, "What to expect the first 140 days."  I read that over and over again, along with many other blogs.  I came here every morning and every evening and I paid attention to what the elders told me to do.  I moved forward one day at a time and now it has been over 3 years. You CAN do this.  We want to help.  No one can do it for you and there are no short cuts..."The only way out is through."

Again, welcome.

Ellen

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Getting through the first few days can feel weird to say the least. This is what makes  it an addiction--not merely a bad habit. The truth is, you will feel better. Keep falling forward with healthy distractions--things that you like well enough to do. Ignore thoughts of smoking, they will go away.

I'm so glad you came here and spoke up about how you are feeling. It's not unusual to be foggy, groggy, stressed, unhappy about it all. The grand prize of being free from cigarettes/nicotine is so worth your efforts. Keep up the good work.

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

First, congrats on the best decision for your health you could have made.  Yes, we are all feeling different the first couple of weeks, I have not heard one quitter here at EX saying: "I loved my first 2 weeks", but you won't need medical attention for these symptoms, you'll make it!

Please come back and talk about your journey, it helps talking it out.

It is great you are keeping hydrated, OJ or any other fruit juice would also help, or go for Vitamine C if you don't want the carbs of the fruit juice. Practice the deep breathing, it helped me a lot!

And again, congratulations on your decision, and welcome to EX

0 Kudos
Ready2021

Thanks for the the warm welcome I can tell people have been there done this

I practice breathing faithfully matter of fact I'm craving right now but

what I have noticed on day since my quit day June 5 today I only had 3

cravings seems to lessen I know the storm is not over lol

On Jun 9, 2017 8:59 PM, "Daniela-3-11-2016" <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

gardenancy8

Kudos to your days of freedom from the poison!  Just keep getting through a crave at a time and then a day at a time. You can do this and you're doing this! Just tell yourself ' smoking is no longer an option '  .  What your feeling is part of the quit! It will get better I promise you.

Ready2021

So much love in this place thank you so much

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS on your quit and the wisdom you have already gained!

0 Kudos