cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

akerwin10

Nicotine aids???

Well tomorrow is the day I am going to get rid of this burden of nicotine addiction.. I am freaking out and calm at the same time but most of all I am nervous. I have tried many times to quit smoking and always end up back at it again and again... 

My question to the community is this, what is the best way to quit? By this I mean what is the nicotine replacement that has helped people here the most? I have tried many different things like gum and patches but did not have to much success, then again I do not think I really wanted to quit back then. I refuse to take Chantix or other things of that sort because I currently work at a pharmaceutical company to I know way to much about these pills that they are trying to pass off as a quit smoking aid. If anyone has any insight that would be greatly appreciated as I have already done the reading that people in this community recommended and am now ready to quit.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Nothing really quits for you - lol - so making up your mind is the No. 1 most important thing to do!  I did use the patch and followed the recommendations for stepping down.  It helped with my withdrawals.  I used the 21 mg for 3 weeks - 14 mg for 2 weeks, and 7 mg for 1 week.  I originally intended to use the 7 mg for 2 weeks but felt like I was ready to let it go.

The support at this site also helped me tremendously, so stay close and participate!  

Best wishes to you!

YoungAtHeart

Most of us felt anxious and fearful leading up to our quit dates.  It is natural to fear the unknown.  Be sure to have your quit kit available, which includes a written list of your reasons to quit and things you can do to keep yourself distracted.  I gave you a link of things in my earlier response.  Decide which of them might work for you, and write them down.  Remember to keep a bottle of iced cold water to sip from, and remember that slow, deep breaths work anywhere, anytime to get past a crave.

Don't let that smoking crave rattle around in your head by itself.  Get busy!  This takes a bit of effort on your part in the early days, but it is SO worth it in the end!

If you are going to use an NRT, I would recommend anything that does not let you control the dose.  Since you don't want to take the available Rx drugs, that would leave the patch as your only option.  Lots of folks here have successfully used them.

Nancy

akerwin10

Well the anxiety got to me yesterday but today I do not have to work so this feels right. I do have my list and fortunately since my wife and I just bought a house there are plenty of things to keep me busy right now lol. Thank you for the support!

Anthony

0 Kudos
bookee6

The only think I used was education.  I ready so many thing before I took my last inhale that I felt ok putting it out.  Not great, still scared and nervous but as I continue to educated my self in this community or even by just googling questions I felt better every day!  I did read Allan Carrs book but only after I quit it still was extremely helpful.

Also listen to the Elders they are very wise, compassionate, helpful and caring

No luck needed because you can do it.  Just focus and take it one day at a time.

Robin

elvan

akerwin10  Many people on the site have been successful with the patch.  I did not use anything but I kept smoking until quitting was really not much of a choice because I was so ill.  I had previously made a quit kit as YoungAtHeart‌ suggested and I planned for what to do instead of smoking.  I tracked cigarettes when I was smoking so I identified most of my triggers...not all but most.  Some are not easy to replicate.  I planned for sadness, physical pain, stress, anxiety, etc...but I did not plan for anger and that had tripped me up in the past so I would TRY to plan for that.  What I DID do was to ask myself every time I wanted a cigarette, "what GOOD would it do? What would it change?"  I could never, in all honesty, come up with anything GOOD that it would do or anything that it would change.  That and the acronym NOPE, Not One Puff Ever along with some other phrases I got from this site and coming here every morning and every evening and reading and commenting and blogging, held my quit together.   Believe you can do this because you CAN.  One day at a time and when that's too long, make it one hour or one minute or one EVENT at a time.  

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

dwwms

You really need to answer that for yourself. What have you learned from previous quit attempts? I have quit 10-12 times, can't really remember anymore. Every time, although I went back to smoking, I learned something. About the only thing I haven't tried is Wellbutrin, though my doctor had suggested that to me.

Though still in NML (at day 78), I really think the most important thing different about this quit is mainly ATTITUDE! If you go into it as a "sentence" you must serve and fight it all the way, you're not going to succeed. If you look at it as a journey to a better life and are excited about the possibilities, then you're going to have a much easier time. (It still isn't easy but...).

Another thing that I'd mention that is different with my quit this time is why. I am quitting for myself, first and foremost. Previous times I'd always say it was for my wife, family, or someone else important to me. Altruistic as that sounds - that cannot be your main motivation. It has to be for you.

Lastly was educating myself better about what I was up against. I know you've seen the information. Take what you need from it (leave the rest) and weigh everything - you'll know what is best for you.

Finally, use this site for the support you need. We ALL want you to succeed!!

Doug

bonnie.s

The patch worked best for me.  Nothing is 100 percent though so you have to really want it.  Everyone is different so maybe experiment a little to find what helps take the edge off best for you.  Best of luck.  You can do this!

0 Kudos
gregp136

I have used the patch, Wellbutrin, Chantix, whatever.  This time, I used this community and went cold turkey and I feel great.  For me, I no longer enjoyed smoking.  It was just how I got my nicotine which I am addicted to.  I needed to quit nicotine.  When I used the patch, it actually spread out my withdrawal, weakening my resolve.  

Cold Turkey was right for me.

Greg

Welcome to Ex Aker. I think the best way to quit is the way to which you're willing to make a commitment. Whether it be patch, cold turkey or whatever...make the commitment to be successful no matter what. I've often said it's 5% NRT & 95% us. They don't do the work for you...there is no magic bullet to take away all of the discomfort, but then the discomfort doesn't last but a minute or two. Meet those urges head-on, embrace them & they go away. When you do this you will feel empowered, and the next time will be easier. You will become stronger each time. Do this enough & it will become second nature to say no, I don't do that anymore.

And oh yeah...read that stuff again. Once is not enough.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @