cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Tobacco Tornado

Came to the board because this morning I had a rough patch.  Just wanted to get my thoughts down and, hopefully, get some support.  I'm taking a lot from people now and hope to be able to give back once I get over the first few weeks.  I had thoughts about smoking.  Not necessarily cravings or urges.  Rather, a behavior was missing.  Albeit a bad behavior, but some part of the morning.  I had gum and water, so I used my tools.  However, instead of thinking about what I will do with the money I'm saving or becoming healthier, which has been part of my success in not smoking for 4 days, wasn't quite working today  I chose to not think at all and to try and empty all thoughts from my mind.  Thankfully, I made it to my destination without stopping to get cigarettes and decided to post on the boards.  Thanks to all for reading this.  I appreciate all the support I have received.  It's made a big difference in this quit.

-Michelle (MichelleDiane is my post name, but all may call me Michelle)

17 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Michelle,

ALL perfectly normal.  In the car, you might try counting the red/blue/white cars you see, or perhaps the traffic lights you hit or miss. Turn on some tunes and sing aloud to them.   Take slow, deep breaths, take a sip of water, think about what you will do when you get home today to treat yourself.  Maybe a nice, long soak in the tub?  Or a cold drink of tea or iced coffee on the porch/deck?  Perhaps a walk to enjoy the spring/summer smells and the flowers blooming?

It does get easier, I promise!  Just hang in there - and STAY BUSY!  Does your quit kit include a crossword puzzle book?  For at home, it's a great way to keep your mind occupied and your hands engaged!

Four days is HUGE - be PROUD!

Nancy

MichelleDiane

Thanks Nancy.  Been real busy at work, so haven't given smoking a single thought.  Glad I posted to the board earlier.  I know it helped me through that moment and now I'm munching on some carrot sticks.

-Michelle

0 Kudos
gregp136

You are doing Great, Michelle.  You made it without stopping.  Every success makes you stronger for the next test. And you are right, what worked yesterday may  not work tomorrow, but may work 2 days from now.  Keep focused, keep all your tools available.  Find some new ones if you need them.  Personally, I went outside and yelled and ran, and punched the air.  I also shook my head, hard, to knock out bad thoughts.  Look at how lovely your hand looks without a cigarette.  And your fingers smell nice.  

How do your toes look(Yes, I used silliness too!)?

Anything to keep you on the quit train, and smoke free!

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

So funny that you mentioned looking at my hands.  I actually smell my two ringers on my right hand several times a day.  I love how I don't smell cigarettes.  It is wonderful!  Thanks for the support.

-Michelle

MichelleDiane

Thank you so much for those words of encouragement and for the helpful suggestions Nancy and Greg.  I am now looking forward to a nice bath after work.  I would love to be doing something outside, but the weather is not cooperating.  Have  a fresh water on my desk along with some carrot sticks.  I'll keep pushing forward.  Not smoking won't kill me, but I know smoking will.

Regards,

Michelle 

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Missing it is normal but you have the right idea: Keep pushing forward. Not smoking won't kill you but....  Keep stacking the days. It will get better. The reward is worth it.Learn How to Quit Smoking (and Make it Stick) 

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Thanks freeneasy.  Read the Learn How to Quit Smoking link.  It definitely helps me engage and re-enforces my quit.

-Michelle

0 Kudos
dwwms

Michelle - Glad you diverted your attention away from smoking and didn't stop for any cancer sticks! We are all in this together and if you're having a rough time of it, PLEASE blog away! It's amazing how many ways the addiction wraps itself around you and tries to woo you back - cravings, urges, and yes, just thinking about it. You're doing great! Before you know it, the first week will be over, then the next...

Doug

0 Kudos

You did exactly the right thing in my opinion! Changing thought patterns really can help! If we latch onto a crave, that's when we get into trouble. But once we learn to ignore them and dismiss them, we begin to find peace. So glad you came here and blogged before making a mistake that you know you'd of regretted. It does get easier as time passes. Congratulations on your quit!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos