cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kelsmynme

Help

On day 2 of my first vacation as an ex smoker, 87 dof, must harder than I thought it would be having so much free time, any suggestions? Thanks Kelly

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

I am not sure if you are on a trip or just off of work.  Here is a blog that lists 100 things to do besides smoke - maybe some of these will help.  Click on the link:

100 Things

kelsmynme

I'm on a trip r&r poolside at a Florida resort

Jennifer-Quit

Well jump in that pool!  Embrace and enjoy that sea air free of smoke!

YoungAtHeart

Change up your normal vacation routine!  Get a crossword puzzle book to work , or Sodoku , or a good book, or go for a walk, or swim a few laps, or surf the internet.  just don't THINK about smoking.  Simply say, "I don't DO that anymore" and move on. 

This quit journey does take some effort on your part, but it will be rewarded - I promise!

Hang in there; the best is just over the horizon!

Nancy

Strudel

Jump in the pool, go for a walk, go get some frozen yogurt, ANYTHING - just don't smoke! Also - check out the links above from Dale and Jennifer. You did exactly the right thing by coming here to blog! Stay close! And - CONGRATS on your beautiful quit!  

To me, quitting was a learning experience. And one of the first things to learn is what happens in a given situation. Sometimes relaxation is actually a trigger in my opinion, because while we were addicted, we always associated relaxation with smoking. Another of the lies we fed ourselves as addicts.

When we become confident that we'll never smoke again, the addiction isn't quite done with us yet. It's like the divided mind sits there in the background, waiting for an opportunity. The thing is, we'll always remember smoking. It's just a fact of life in addiction, but we don't have to give those memories any power! 

When we have idle time, most of us smoked to fill the time, as if that was really doing anything. But these kinds of things are remembered when we quit and a crave can pop up any time when we once again have idle time. Rather than relaxing, the brain remembers smoking at those times.

For me, the best thing to do in this situation is to change the thought patterns. Think of something else. Anything else! You know you want to because you want to succeed!

To this day after over six years quit, I still have smoking memories pop up. In fact, I just had one today. But that's all they are. Thoughts! If you can move on to a new thought, then the crave will lose it's power. The key is to stop thinking about smoking, because the mind will stick to a single thought so long as we let it.

I wish you the best and hope that this passes and the rest of the day is wonderful! Just don't give in to an errant thought, or rather, a piece of a thought that still remains from the past. Take some deep breaths, remember that relaxation has nothing to do with smoking and then remember how you'll feel tomorrow depending on the decision you make today!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck 

dwwms

Kelly - I know exactly where you're coming from. I got back from vacation this past week and when I went - oh boy, the urges were stronger than I'd felt since the 2nd week. Seems I'd gotten used to not smoking because it was the same routine everyday (work, home, etc.), and then all of a sudden, you're in new surroundings, different scenarios where you always smoked before.

Two things - I agree with Nancy, switch up your routine (just like you did when you first started on your quit). For me, this meant - not going out of the hotel room first thing to get a decent cup of coffee (because that was when I smoked), it meant occupying my mind with Sudoku, games or something so I wouldn't think about stepping out for a smoke. And then, of course, the same routines - deep breaths, chew gum, cold water/liquid/ice - whatever works! Last of all, I found myself pulling out my list of reasons and motivations and reading over them. They've been in my wallet since I quit, hardly looked at them since the first week until while I was on vacation.

Hang in there, fellow Marcher!! You've got this, you know you do not want another day one!!

Doug

shashort

Way to go on 87 days. You are making new nonsmoking memories on your 1st vacation.  Stay stron! You CAN do this! Swim, walk keep busy just don't go buy smokes and you will be alright.