cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

temptation

Quitters in Their 20's

You are not kidding. I have stopped drinking for this first month of quitting smoking. Although I'm only on day 6 today not drinking has definitely hellped. I must spend AT LEAST 2 days a week meeting friends at a bar. I think the smell coming off smokers is repulsive enough to keep anyone from smoking.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
106 Replies
temptation

Whats up guys,

Today is my Day 7 still havent had a puff or a drink. Although when I wake up I want a cigarette pretty bad. Any ideas how I can celebrate the completion of week 1?

- Kate, I agree the smell is gross. I was in class last night some girl came in after a cigarette and she smelled horrible. It's nice to say that used to be us.

0 Kudos
exl

Going into my first weekend in a couple of days and am a little nervous.  I haven't had a drink yet, but will have some to unwind this weekend.  I have faith that I can do it, and that my super supportive fiance and roomates (all of whom quit with me) will be right there with me.

I don't think I've gotten my sense of smell back yet bc I can't seem to smell the smoke on my jacket or sheets anything (of course, non of which I have washed yet 🙂

0 Kudos
lesface

Almost day 3 for me, and I'm worried about the weekend coming up, too....in past quits, I had only lasted a week at the most and when the weekend came and I had a few drinks, that was it! So this time I have sworn off drinking for awhile, too, because I know that's the only way I'll be able to do it, and quitting definitely means way more to me than a couple beers.

I'm glad we're all on the same "quit week" lol

0 Kudos
big-islander

I'm 21 (pre-med in college) and I've been an ex for 7 days. We're still on winter break now and the real test for me will be next week when classes resume. I'm kinda...worried...how am I gonna handle the long study hours again without my 5 min. smoke breaks? I really want to quit for good and don't want to find myself smoking as a medical student in the fall (...assuming I matriculate, it will be way more stressful than my undergraduate education FOR SURE). I'm gonna try my best to stay an ex. The gum is helping all right but I still jones like crazy. Anyways...I hope everyone here is doing well in their daily battle with the urge to smoke. I wish everyone the best. 

0 Kudos
exl

Day 5...HOLY CRAP!  I'm so psyched!  I haven't had a drink yet, but I will drink tonite with my co-quitting roomates and we will NOT smoke.  It helps that we NEVER ever smoked in our apartment.  We always went out on the fire escape 🙂  I am so glad I don't have to go out there in the freezing cold anymore.  While I do think I will miss going outside to have a cig at the bar, I think that carrying around a little joint and going outside to take a puff every once in a while will make it much much easier.  Some may think badly of this, but I do smoke pot, and I have found that its a godsend in this process.  hehe...one of my littler reasons for quitting was so that I wouldn't feel guilty about smoking pot...so bad 🙂

0 Kudos
snarlymae

Whoot! I'm feeling ya. Get me into a bar, put a scotch in my hand, and without a doubt a cigarette follows. God, sometimes even just LISTENING to certain music gets me jonsing for a smoke!

0 Kudos
temptation

Hey All,

I'm glad to read that everyone is refraining from smoking, that's awesome. I thought I'd just share a problem that occurred last night. I went out to a bar last night to meet up with some friends that I haven't seen in awhile. They know I usually handle my own when it comes to boozing but I told them I stopped drinking for the month because I don't want to smoke. They gave me a look like i was out of my mind and wierd for not drinking. It was actually uncomfortable having to explain myself as to why I'm not drinking. Last night I also happened to start talking to some girls I met there. They asked me if I was drinking and I told them no. When I told them why they also gave me a weird look. Now I really felt like a weirdo for not drinking. However I didn't have one. The not drinking for a month is not only due to not wanting to smoke, but my drinking habits have gotten a little out of control since i got laid off. It felt so awkward to be looked at like a weirdo after telling the girls I'm not drinking. Hey Fuck It I guess.

-Snarly Mae- I love scotch and whiskey too. Specifically Johnny Black and Jameson on the rocks. I know a cigarette tastes awesome after a couple of scotches. If you have to be a weirdo like me and refrain from drinking for a little to stop smoking Fuck IT, It's your health and your benefit not anyone else's.

Good Job Today Peoples.

0 Kudos
kate41

Thats crazy that the girls would look at you like a weirdo for not drinking! You would think it would show a sense of maturity and that is an attractive quality for a man to have. Those girls must have been lame..on to the next! haha

thats awesome that you held back form drinking though! Im sooo flippen nervous for the weekend. I already have friends asking what bar we're going to or where we should hang out and have drinks. It is awkward explaining why im not feeling it. o well. It will be old news to them soon enough and then it wont be such a big deal

0 Kudos
temptation

Weekend Over still smoke free! Everyone make it through the weekend?

0 Kudos