cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

5AlarmFire

I'm new. What's the best way to use this site to help me cut down on my smoking?

I see there's a bunch of stuff on the site - i added triggers. Now what? What do I do? I'm smoking my last carton right now before I start quitting Sunday.

Thanks.

30 Replies
freeneasy

Learn as much as you can about quitting and nicotine addiction.Click on "My Quit Plan" in the upper right of your screen and read everything. The more you learn the more confident you'll be. Here is some more helpful info

Learn How to Quit Smoking (and Make it Stick) 

gardenancy8

Read Read Read and learn about the addiction! Go to the section ' Best of the ex ' and check out all the blogs there!  I didn't worry about quitting until I got all my reading in, and then after a few days I knew I WANTED to quit! I am fairly new here, but I can share one thing with you, it does get easier in time! I took it one crave at a time, then one day and trigger at a time!  Now I can go many days without being triggered at all.  I hung on to the words of family and friends who said ' Don't worry, it does get easier '  .   This site and all the experienced and wise Elders is what made the difference in my quit!  Welcome to the site and soon you will have more Elders coming on to guide you like Freeneasy above did!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great suggestion gardenancy8‌!

5AlarmFire‌ the link to Best of EX can be found via the home page or click on the link I provided. It's a link to content created largely by members of the site who have felt that the things posted were helpful in their quit.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
gardenancy8

Thanks Mark!  

0 Kudos
5AlarmFire

I'm still smoking (mostly) - able to cut out a butt, here and there but still mostly smoking. Diving into the Best of Ex now. 

gardenancy8

Well read as much as you can and get educated on the addiction.  I think once we understand the way it works, we tend to want to quit more.  Also I used to go out with my dogs in the backyard all the time, so since I knew that was a trigger, I stayed away from the dogs the first few days and let my family take care of them. Triggers are whatever and whoever is going to trigger you to want a smoke! Once you figure out your triggers, work out a plan to not have that smoke, or stay away from the trigger for a bit.  

0 Kudos
c2q

Hi 5!  

What you do next depends on how prepared you are to quit. It sounds like you've put some work into it getting ready. I suggest you write a blog post next. Your blog can be anything you want it to be. If you haven't read many of the blogs yets, I'd do that too, you'll see what I mean. Go ahead and poke around this site. It has lots of useful nooks and crannies. Maybe you'd like to join a group, or ride the Freedom Train? Check out everything; let me know what you think.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. You have come to the right place for a new day and a rebirth. This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Also Read:   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started on this site with reading and viewing videos along with how to track and learn about triggers. 

We will support you. You are on your journey to freedom

pastedImage_3.png

5AlarmFire

Thank you. I'm back to try again. Will read the Allen Carr pdf this time. 

0 Kudos