cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pittfan1109

What are alternatives to chewing gum?

Just wondering if there are any other alternatives for like chewing gum. My jaw is sore. I do have Werther's and Lifesavers but to be honest it's getting old.

17 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Try some slow, deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each.  You really don't need to keep something going in your mouth all the time.  You can also keep a cold bottle of water handy to sip from.  That serves two purposes - it flushes the toxins out of your system, and gives you that jolt of cold to help a crave!

Don't give up!  You CAN do this!

Nancy

pittfan1109

I'm definitely trying the breathing thing. It does help. Not really a big fan of water though. Although I still tried the cold water. I'm getting there and there is no giving up this time. Kind of enjoying the smoke free life. No waking up and hacking my lungs up. No wheezing. Not complaining at all. 

gregp136

I also used a lot of Werther's, gum, and other candy.  Yes, my jaw got tied.  I cut back, took more deep breaths and only moved to candy or gum when I REALLY needed to keep my mouth busy.  The one positive is that I keep telling my brain the the cravings were for candy and gum, instead of nicotine.

pittfan1109

That's the point I'm trying to get myself to. I really don't chew gum when I get home. My biggest issue is work. Don't smoke in the house or car.

I used straws. There's just nothing more enticing than smoking air! And you can chew on them if you want to. But if it came down to me chewing or smoking, I'd chew my way out of addiction!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Giulia

There's always.....

or   

or

OR

We seem to have a primal need to suck.  I used one of those sports bottles with the nipples on top.  Filled it with water and could suck and chew and drink all at the same time!  lol  

Then there's always.....

Whatever works!!!!  Hang tough!

pittfan1109

Yeah I figured trial and error until I find something. 

0 Kudos

If you prefer organic ...

Harder by which to come and much more expensive, but some think it's worth the extra trouble and expense.

If I responded to your 2nd suggestion, I would be tossed on the dung heap.

0 Kudos