cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pittfan1109

Fell off the wagon and frustrated

I'm Mike. This is my 5th time trying to quit. I fell off the wagon today. While I've had one or two everyday since, I bought a pack  today.Been at for a month now. I'm taking Chantix. Cravings are gone. Just can't find any other way to cope with stress or my temper. Bought ready to give up but I really don't want to. Even though I thoroughly enjoy smoking. At my wit's end.

0 Kudos
58 Replies
gardenancy8

Hi Mike, welcome to ex!  I'm a newbie here, and let me tell ya, this site and all the wonderful people on here, will make this quit something different for you.  You will learn so much from reading on here, you will learn about the addiction, what to expect from the quit, how you will feel through it.   I could go on and on.  Some of the Elders will be on soon to give you guidance and blogs to read to help you out.  Hang in there and just know you did good in coming her tonight for help.  My quit has been going good, after reading everything here, I knew what to expect and how to deal with it.  And so will you.   

pittfan1109

Thank you. I checked out alot of things today. Realized that this is something I'm not going to be able to do by myself. Which is a big step for me.

gardenancy8

Glad to hear you're checking out all the good info!  It will be so much easier doing it this way Mike!  I wish I had known about this group a long time ago! 

tjanddj

Hello Mike! I am not quite understanding what you are saying. Are you saying you are having one or two cigarettes a day? and you fell off the wagon because you bought a pack of cigarettes? I quit smoking when I so thought I enjoyed smoking too so it certainly can be done.

pittfan1109

I started to take Chantix about a month ago. I've not been able to go a day without at least having one or two because of stress or being mad. Today I said screw it pretty much and bought a pack and was ready to just start smoking again. Sorry my original post was not clear was a little flustered and wasn't really happy with myself. Which brought me here.

0 Kudos
gregp136

Guess what.  It will be stressful and you will have a temper. The first few weeks are like that.  Accept it.  Then ask yourself if life is worth a few weeks of anger?  For me it was.  But you have to decide for you.  I guess I would also point out that, in my view, you did not fall off the wagon, you chose to smoke.  

Greg

Giulia

As an 11 year quitter I'm seeing you're going through a bunch of conflicting tugs and emotions.  You "fell off the wagon today."  Been at it a month.  OK.  You say you're taking Chantix and have no cravings.  And yet you have still gone to a cigarette for stress and temper relief.  DID it relieve your stress and anger moments?  Did it taste good?  Did it give you comfort?  Did it solve your emotional angst?  I would guess not.  Since you're here at your 'wits end' blogging about your frustration.  

But - wait a minute.  Let me copy any paste what you said:  "I fell off the wagon today. While I've had one or two everyday since, I bought a pack  today."  If you fell off the wagon today - you've smoked today.  "While I've had one or two everyday since..."  Every day since - what?  You quit date?  I'm totally confused here now that I think about it.  If you've had one or two ever since you started taking Chantix and supposedly quit - then, guess what  -you haven't quit.  Buying a pack after having smoked "one or two" every day since your quit day doesn't mean you've quit smoking.  When you quit, you don't put another cigarette in your mouth.  As we say, if you quit and you're still smoking - you're doing it wrong.

I hope others will weigh in on this - because I'm just lost in quit space here....

HI Mike! Welcome to EX! I understand your frustration. It took me a lot of attempts to quit smoking. Hang in there, stick with us, read read and read some more. Have you read the Allen Carr book the "Easy Way"? This is a must read. It will change the way you think about smoking. You can become free of this horrible addiction!

Here is the link for "Easy Way"

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf 

0 Kudos